Students undertake assessment, differential diagnosis and treatment of clients in workplace settings across an advanced area of practice. Lectures are provided on profession-specific and interprofessional skills to manage deficits associated with underlying and co-occurring conditions. For speech pathology students, Range of Practice areas covered include structural deficits and associated speech, language, voice and hearing disorders and psychosocial and emotional conditions underpinning language, literacy and behavioural issues.
- Overview of investigation processes (observation, case history collection, behaviour sampling, documentation)
- Principles related to assessment, interpretation, intervention and recommendations
Supervised clinical practice of:
- Assessment of clients over several weeks
- Analysis and interpretation of findings from client assessments
- Case presentation of findings on client assessments to clinical educators and student group and discussion of plans for clients
- Writing diagnostic reports on clients
- Providing informative counselling, including inter-professional learning and practice, regarding findings pertaining to clinical data to clients and families
- Self-evaluation of clinical performance during a mid-placement formative assessment
- Second cycle of conducting assessments on clients and reporting to clients on findings of assessment and recommendations during clinic sessions
- Reflection on learning in relation to range indicators, related disorders, scope of practice broadly for adults and children
- Reflection on issues in investigation, documentation, analysis, interpretation and planning evidence based practices, as well as engaging with the supervision and feedback process.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||use appraisal and diagnostic processes that contribute to a thorough investigation of a client's condition|
|2||provide information and demonstrate affective counselling techniques and be responsive to clients' and significant others' needs and concerns|
|3||analyse, integrate and interpret clinical data|
|4||use evidence-based practice and inter-professional consultation to further inform clinical decisions around differential diagnosis and recommendations|
|5||present the outcomes of assessments and proposed management alternatives tailored to individual needs|
|6||translate knowledge and skills into inter-professional learning and practice|
|7||demonstrate advanced problem solving, communication and presentation skills.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- use appraisal and diagnostic processes that contribute to a thorough investigation of a client's condition
- provide information and demonstrate affective counselling techniques and be responsive to clients' and significant others' needs and concerns
- analyse, integrate and interpret clinical data
- use evidence-based practice and inter-professional consultation to further inform clinical decisions around differential diagnosis and recommendations
- present the outcomes of assessments and proposed management alternatives tailored to individual needs
- translate knowledge and skills into inter-professional learning and practice
- demonstrate advanced problem solving, communication and presentation skills.
- It is your choice which edition you choose to purchase. This 5th edition is the latest, but all earlier editions are satisfactory for this class: Shipley, KG, & McAfee, JG, 2015, Assessment in speech-language pathology : a resource manual, 5th edn, Delmar Cengage Learning, Clifton Park, NY. ISBN: 1285198050.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.