Introduces students to the basic physical sciences that are applicable to podiatric practice.
- Microbiology, histology and common pathogens
- Causative micro-organisms in the infectious process
- Immunity and immunology
- An introduction to cutaneous foot disorders
- Physics for the health sciences
- Chemistry and biochemistry for the health sciences
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||demonstrate knowledge of microbiology and histology as related to human illness and modern medicine||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning|
|2||explain the clinical presentation of common podiatric cutaneous diseases||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning|
|3||describe the classification and actions of microorganisms responsible for infection||Knowledge of a discipline|
|4||interpret the clinical manifestation of infectious microorganisms and theories for host response (immunity and immunology) as related to podiatry practice||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning|
|5||demonstrate knowledge of clinically-relevant physics, chemistry and biochemistry.||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Lifelong learning|
- This text is available through the SCU Library: Engelkirk, PG & Engelkirk, JD, 2011, Microbiology for the health sciences, 9th edn, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia. ISBN: 9781605476735 (pbk).
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2020 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.