Introduces students to the principles, objectives and methods of social research. Develops practical skills in reviewing literature, constructing research questions and writing up research for publication. Students practice reading published research and analysing and interpreting qualitative and quantitative data. They will conduct a small piece of research of their own design.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||identify an author's research question, primary methods and key findings in published research articles|
|2||compose a research question|
|3||construct a well-integrated literature review|
|4||construct valid interview questions|
|5||code data thematically and categorically|
|6||explain the use of tables and graphs|
|7||write a research article.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- identify an author's research question, primary methods and key findings in published research articles
- compose a research question
- construct a well-integrated literature review
- construct valid interview questions
- code data thematically and categorically
- explain the use of tables and graphs
- write a research article.
- It is essential that you acquire a copy of this text to be able to complete the practical tasks in this unit. If you have the 2004 version of Bouma and Ling's 'The research process' that will be fine (you won't need the 2016 version as well): Bouma, G & Carland, S, 2016, The research process, 6th edn, Oxford University Press, South Melbourne. ISBN: 9780190304621.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.