Introduces students to speech pathology practice in Australia and frameworks that guide this practice. Students will review examples of communication and swallowing across child and adult populations. Students will also develop understanding of the core professional competencies that underlie speech pathology.
This unit will cover content across three main areas:
- The scope of speech pathology practice in Australia
- The speech pathology areas of practice in Australia
- The professional competencies of speech pathology (reasoning, communication, learning, and professionalism)
The unit will also embed content related to the development of academic study skills.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||describe and apply the key frameworks that support speech pathology practice in Australia|
|2||identify examples of communication and swallowing impairment in the context of the speech pathology practice areas|
|3||demonstrate speech pathology professional competencies relevant to speech pathology practice|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- describe and apply the key frameworks that support speech pathology practice in Australia
- identify examples of communication and swallowing impairment in the context of the speech pathology practice areas
- demonstrate speech pathology professional competencies relevant to speech pathology practice
Prescribed Learning Resources
- No prescribed texts.
- No prescribed resources/equipment.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.