Develops a foundational knowledge of the principles of assessment and intervention planning in speech pathology. Students are provided with an opportunity to acquire, practise and demonstrate foundational speech pathology skills that underpin clinical practice. Practise in tutorial sessions and simulated rehearsal prepares students to carry out foundational assessment and intervention skills ensuring a focus on evidence-based practice and optimisation of client outcomes.
- Foundations of speech pathology assessment and assessment session planning
- Assessment procedures common to most communication disorders
- Documenting speech pathology assessment and intervention information
- Analysing and interpreting language samples
- Intervention essentials for speech pathology: preparing for effective intervention
- Intervention essentials for speech pathology: implementing and evaluating intervention
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||describe assessment principles and processes common to most communication disorders|
|2||interpret language sample analysis findings to inform intervention goals|
|3||demonstrate methods for documenting assessment and intervention information|
|4||describe intervention principles and processes common to most communication disorders|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- describe assessment principles and processes common to most communication disorders
- interpret language sample analysis findings to inform intervention goals
- demonstrate methods for documenting assessment and intervention information
- describe intervention principles and processes common to most communication disorders
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Roth, FP & Worthington, CK, 2021, Treatment resource manual for speech-language pathology, Cengage Learning..
- Shipley, KG & McAfee, JG, 2021, Assessment in speech-language pathology: a resource manual, 6th edn, Cengage Learning..
Above textbooks are available online via MyReadings with varying levels of access e.g. 3-user licence.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.