Enables students to be reflective practitioners who seek to continually develop their own knowledge and approaches to practice. Application and use of critical reflection to inform professional development and practice is applied to a case-based learning framework. Students will acquire, critique and integrate knowledge from different sources to develop and inform their practice.
- Cultural identity, personal bias and the culture of the systems in which we work
- Influence of culture, language and social background on experiences of communication and swallowing goals and needs
- Current and emerging evidence in speech pathology practice
- Recognising limitations in the speech pathology evidence base
- Importance of critical reflection in supporting development of your professional portfolio
- Advanced practice: challenging ideas, asking questions and being open to opportunities
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||appraise own cultural identity and explain the influence of culture, language and social background on the experience of the client|
|2||critically analyse and interpret the nature of the communication and swallowing disorder|
|3||formulate recommendations based on appraisal of evidence, assessment data and integration of client cultural and social factors|
|4||critique own professional strengths and limitations to support identification of learning needs and ability to plan professional development|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- appraise own cultural identity and explain the influence of culture, language and social background on the experience of the client
- critically analyse and interpret the nature of the communication and swallowing disorder
- formulate recommendations based on appraisal of evidence, assessment data and integration of client cultural and social factors
- critique own professional strengths and limitations to support identification of learning needs and ability to plan professional development
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Avery, S, 2018, Culture is Inclusion: A narrative of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with a disability, First Peoples Disability Network (Australia) , Sydney, Australia..
- Shipley, KG & McAfee, JG, 2021, Assessment in speech-language pathology: a resource manual, 6th edn, Cengage Learning..
- Stagnitti, K, Schoo, A & Welch, D, 2013, Clinical and Fieldwork Placement in the Health Professional, 2nd edn, Oxford University Press..
- No prescribed resources/equipment.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.