Prepares students to identify, appraise and apply research evidence to speech pathology assessment and intervention practices within the broader context of evidence-based practice. The unit will extend knowledge and clinical reasoning as applicable to a variety of range of practice areas within speech pathology
The unit will cover content related to:
- Evidence-based practice as applicable to speech pathology clinical practice
- Identifying, appraising and synthesising research evidence to inform speech pathology practice across the range of practice areas of speech, language, voice, fluency, swallowing, multi-modal communication
- Validity, reliability, and fidelity of assessment and intervention practices within speech pathology
- Applying research into clinical practice
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||apply principles of evidence-based practice and critical appraisal of research methods in the context of speech pathology practices||Intellectual rigour|
|2||evaluate speech pathology assessment practices with reference to critically appraised research evidence||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|3||evaluate indications and efficacy of speech pathology intervention practices for client populations with reference to critically appraised research evidence||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Cultural competence|
|4||evaluate how client-related factors, service delivery factors, and clinical experiences may inform clinical decision-making within speech pathology practices||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Cultural competence|
- Foundations of Clinical Research: Pearson New International Edition: Portney, LG & Watkins, MP , 2014, Foundations of Clinical Research : Applications to Practice , 3rd international edn, Pearson Education, London. ISBN: 9781292020365.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2018 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.