2020 unit offering information will be available in September 2019
Prepares students to identify, appraise and apply research evidence to speech pathology assessment and intervention practices within the broader context of evidence-based practice. The unit will extend knowledge and clinical reasoning as applicable to a variety of range of practice areas within speech pathology
The unit will cover content related to:
- Evidence-based practice as applicable to speech pathology clinical practice
- Identifying, appraising and synthesising research evidence to inform speech pathology practice across the range of practice areas of speech, language, voice, fluency, swallowing, multi-modal communication
- Validity, reliability, and fidelity of assessment and intervention practices within speech pathology
- Applying research into clinical practice
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||apply principles of evidence-based practice and critical appraisal of research methods in the context of speech pathology practices||Intellectual rigour|
|2||evaluate speech pathology assessment practices with reference to critically appraised research evidence||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|3||evaluate indications and efficacy of speech pathology intervention practices for client populations with reference to critically appraised research evidence||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Cultural competence|
|4||evaluate how client-related factors, service delivery factors, and clinical experiences may inform clinical decision-making within speech pathology practices.||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline||Cultural competence|
- Liamputtong, P, 2016, Research methods in health: Foundations for evidence-based practice, 3rd edn, Oxford University Press, South Melbourne, VIC. ISBN: 9780190304300.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2020 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 2
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.