Reviews statistical methods and concepts and considers research methodology and data analysis at an advanced level. Modern approaches to null hypothesis testing and alternative approaches to data analysis are considered. The construction and analysis of psychometric tests is discussed.
- Review of statistical approaches
- The logic behind null hypothesis significance testing
- Multiple regression analysis, moderation, and mediation
- Construction of psychological measurements
- Factor analysis
- Analysis of covariance
- Factorial and multivariate analysis of variance
- Advanced topics in statistics, research design, and data management
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||understand advanced and multivariate quantitative approaches used in psychological research|
|2||understand the contemporary and traditional approaches to null hypothesis significance testing|
|3||select appropriate statistical techniques and analyse complex research data using the IBM-SPSS software package|
|4||interpret and write up complex research data in accordance with approved scientific conventions|
|5||construct a psychometric test, and test its structure and psychometric properties|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- understand advanced and multivariate quantitative approaches used in psychological research
- understand the contemporary and traditional approaches to null hypothesis significance testing
- select appropriate statistical techniques and analyse complex research data using the IBM-SPSS software package
- interpret and write up complex research data in accordance with approved scientific conventions
- construct a psychometric test, and test its structure and psychometric properties
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Field, A, 2018, Discovering Statistics Using IBM SPSS Statistics, 5th edn, Sage, London.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.