Not currently available in 2020
Builds on learning undertaken in previous social work practice units and expands knowledge and skills in advanced practice methods with individuals, families and groups. Methods include relationship counselling, family therapy, trauma informed therapeutic approaches and conflict management.
1. Applying critical, decolonising and feminist theories to social work practice.
2. Working from a strengths based solution focussed perspective.
3. Individual and family therapy approaches.
3. Trauma theory and social work practice.
4. Trauma informed approaches to assessment of individuals and families.
5. Trauma informed approaches to intervention with individuals and families.
6. Issues of conflict, aggression, addiction and resistance.
7. Complexity, creativity, critical thinking and practical reasoning in social work.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
Learning outcomes and graduate attributes
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:||GA1||GA2||GA3||GA4||GA5||GA6||GA7|
|1||apply a body of interdisciplinary knowledge to social work practice with vulnerable and marginalised individuals, groups and communities||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|2||demonstrate the capacity for critical thinking, practical reasoning and critical reflection in action and on action||Intellectual rigour||Knowledge of a discipline|
|3||articulate and integrate underpinning knowledge in trauma and attachment, strength based approaches, feminist and critical perspectives in the application of skills to assess, engage and intervene in complex case situations||Knowledge of a discipline|
|4||respectfully, skilfully and ethically work with challenging issues including conflict, aggression, addiction and resistance, at the micro, mezzo and macro level of social work practice||Ethical practice|
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Commencing 2020 Commonwealth Supported only. Student contribution band: 1
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.