Introduces students to the profession of social work, and outlines the core knowledge and values required of practising social workers in Australia. The profession is understood within the context of contemporary social welfare arrangements and labour market. The unit seeks to critically examine social work theories and models, as well as different ways of transferring knowledge into practice.
1. The art of Social Work and the use of self
2. Ideologies, Ethics and Values of Social Work
3. Social Work Practice theories and Framework
4. Social Justice and critical consciousness
5. Privilege, Oppression and Disadvantage
6. Neoliberalism and the labour Market
7. The Welfare State and Critical SW
8. Cross-Cultural Social Work
9. Aboriginal Issues in Context
10. Decolonised Social Work Practice
11. Critical and Reflective Practice
12. Framing the conclusion
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||discuss the core knowledge and values of the social work profession|
|2||explain how social workers respond to ethical issues and dilemmas|
|3||critically evaluate different social work theories and models|
|4||explain how evidence-based and reflective practice models can be used to inform social work practice.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- discuss the core knowledge and values of the social work profession
- explain how social workers respond to ethical issues and dilemmas
- critically evaluate different social work theories and models
- explain how evidence-based and reflective practice models can be used to inform social work practice.
- No prescribed texts.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.