2024 unit offering information will be available in November 2023
Social Work Foundations for Practice introduces students to the profession of social work, and outlines the core knowledge and values required of practising social workers in Australia. The profession is understood within the context of contemporary social welfare arrangements and the labour market. The unit seeks to critically examine social work theories and models, as well as different ways of transferring knowledge to practice.
- Definitions, ideologies and values of social work
- Critical social work and theories of practice
- Understanding oppression and trauma in relation to practice
- The welfare state
- Culturally safe social work
- Critical reflection and practice frameworks
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||discuss the core knowledge and values of the social work profession|
|2||explain how social workers respond to ethical issues and dilemmas|
|3||critically evaluate different social work theories and models|
|4||explain how evidence-based and reflective practice models can be used to inform social work practice.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- discuss the core knowledge and values of the social work profession
- explain how social workers respond to ethical issues and dilemmas
- critically evaluate different social work theories and models
- explain how evidence-based and reflective practice models can be used to inform social work practice.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.