Develops students’ research knowledge and skills so that they are able to read research reports and use research evidence to inform practice. Students learn to set up and conduct small-scale research projects involving both quantitative and qualitative methods. Examines the political, ethical and organisational contexts of research in social work.
- Embracing your inner researcher
- Engaging with the literature
- Designing research
- Qualitative research for social work
- Quantitative research for social work
- Research for practice
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||explain the political, ethical and organisational factors impacting on social work research.|
|2||demonstrate skills in accessing research evidence for social work.|
|3||critically evaluate the usefulness of different methodologies, including quantitative and qualitative methodologies, for addressing different research questions.|
|4||develop a research proposal on a relevant social work topic.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- explain the political, ethical and organisational factors impacting on social work research.
- demonstrate skills in accessing research evidence for social work.
- critically evaluate the usefulness of different methodologies, including quantitative and qualitative methodologies, for addressing different research questions.
- develop a research proposal on a relevant social work topic.
Prescribed Learning Resources
- No prescribed texts.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.