Introduces key concepts and perspectives related to understanding community development and identifies skills and issues where they are relevant to community development. Community development infers social change driven by the community. The two major areas of study are theoretical accounts of community development, and community development skills and issue.
Topic 1: Introducing community development
Topic 2: Domains of community development practice
Topic 3: Ecological and social justice
Topic 4: Post-enlightenment and Indigenous perspectives
Topic 5: Community development possibilities and alternatives
Topic 6: Change from below and process
Topic 7: Global and local community development
Topic 8: Dimensions of development
Topic 9: Roles and skills
Topic 10: Contemporary practice issues
Topic 11: Summary and conclusion
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||describe community development using values, principles and concepts of community development|
|2||identify and discuss practices of community development, including the contemporary contexts of practice|
|3||demonstrate a critical understanding of community development as an approach to social development, philosophy and political action|
|4||identify and discuss contemporary issues and critiques of community development.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- describe community development using values, principles and concepts of community development
- identify and discuss practices of community development, including the contemporary contexts of practice
- demonstrate a critical understanding of community development as an approach to social development, philosophy and political action
- identify and discuss contemporary issues and critiques of community development.
- Ife, J, 2016, Community Development in an Uncertain World: Vision, Analysis and Practice, 2nd edn, Cambridge University Press, Port Melbourne, VIC. ISBN: 978-1-107-54336-2.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.