Provides students with foundational knowledges in active reading and writing practices and prepares them for a writing life based on creativity, critical interpretation and writing skills. Students will begin a portfolio of creative work and engage in the giving and receiving of critical feedback integral to their writing practice.
Module 1: What is creative-writing practice? How readers and writers respond to texts
Module 2: Narrative structure I: establishing a voice and point of view
Module 3: Narrative structure II: creating a plot
Module 4: Building characters
Module 5: Creating a sense of place and setting
Module 6: Writing and rewriting
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||understand the connections between creativity and writing practice|
|2||demonstrate knowledge of foundational creative writing skills|
|3||demonstrate an understanding of the different forms/genres of creative writing|
|4||reflect critically on their own and others' writing.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- understand the connections between creativity and writing practice
- demonstrate knowledge of foundational creative writing skills
- demonstrate an understanding of the different forms/genres of creative writing
- reflect critically on their own and others' writing.
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Cowan, A, 2011, The Art of Writing Fiction, Pearson, Great Britain. ISBN: 978-1408248348.
Harvard is the standard referencing system for all Writing units. See here for a comprehensive guide.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.