Introduces students to active practices of reading and writing, different forms of writing and critical reading strategies that will enable them to analyse and critique meanings in the written word. Reading and writing skills are introduced with a particular emphasis on critical thinking and essay writing as forms of academic practice.
- Language and expression
- Across the disciplines
- Orality and literacy
- The reading-writing nexus
- Critical literacy and critical thinking
- Literacy and the politics of writing
- New literacies
- Future literacies
- Dangerous writing
- Rhetoric and persuasion
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||read and critically analyse a range of texts|
|2||search, retrieve and evaluate scholarly material|
|3||construct a coherent argument in essay form|
|4||write and reference competently in scholarly work|
|5||understand the importance of academic integrity|
|6||understand the value of writing as communication.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- read and critically analyse a range of texts
- search, retrieve and evaluate scholarly material
- construct a coherent argument in essay form
- write and reference competently in scholarly work
- understand the importance of academic integrity
- understand the value of writing as communication.
- Grellier, J & Goerke, V, 2018, Communications Toolkit, 4th edn, Cengage Learning, South Melbourne. ISBN: 9780170401623.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.