Introduces students to the study and practice of auto/biography. Will explore a range of texts of the genres and those contemporary theories of the subject which are so pertinent to the writing and reading of auto/biography. Gives students the opportunity to write an auto/biographical piece.
- Writing lives
- Writing the self
- Writing others
- Lives in context
- Writing from the margins
- Political lives: Writing and advocacy
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate an understanding of auto/biographical theory and practice|
|2||demonstrate an ability to devise and develop a creative project within a life-writing genre of their own choosing|
|3||analyse and interpret a range of critical approaches relevant to auto/biography|
|4||reflect critically and constructively on their own and others' writing.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate an understanding of auto/biographical theory and practice
- demonstrate an ability to devise and develop a creative project within a life-writing genre of their own choosing
- analyse and interpret a range of critical approaches relevant to auto/biography
- reflect critically and constructively on their own and others' writing.
- This textbook (previously known as The Arvon Book of Life Writing, and which is fine for use in this unit) can be purchased online or as an eBook if not available in bookshop: Cline, S & Angier, C , 2013, Life Writing: A Writers' and Artists' Companion, Bloomsbury Methuen Drama , London. ISBN: 9781472527066.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.