Introduces students to the study and practice of creative nonfiction. This unit will explore a range of texts including non-fiction novels, literary journalism, memoir, personal essays, travel/food writing and eco-critical writing. Students will engage with critical issues in the writing and reading of creative nonfiction and write their own creative nonfiction piece. Students will receive critical feedback integral to their writing practice and engage in reflection on their own work using analytical and interpretation skills.
- Introduction: The art and craft of creative nonfiction (background and critical review information)
- Personal essays/memoir
- Literary journalism
- Travel/food writing
- Eco-critical writing/fictocriticism
- Nonfiction novels
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||demonstrate the ability to explore issues in creative nonfiction writing|
|2||evaluate issues with reference to ethical principles in creative nonfiction writing|
|3||demonstrate proficiency in creative nonfiction writing.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- demonstrate the ability to explore issues in creative nonfiction writing
- evaluate issues with reference to ethical principles in creative nonfiction writing
- demonstrate proficiency in creative nonfiction writing.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.