Living in Perth

This information will help you get a feel for living in Perth, how to arrange accommodation, how much money you will need to support yourself (and any dependants), and where you can go to socialise and make friends.

It is a requirement of the Department of Home Affairs that, from 1 July 2012, prospective overseas students will need to demonstrate that they have access to at least AUD$18 610 a year to fund their living costs in Australia. Initial establishment costs for a shared apartment, such as rental bonds for accommodation, electricity, gas and telephone, could add up to at least AUD$4 200.

More information about studying in Australia is available from the Australian Government's Study in Australia website:


There is a lot to consider when planning accommodation in a new country. The Australian Government's Study in Australia website provides helpful tips about searching for accommodation.

UniStays offers services to help you find private rental accommodation in Sydney.


Non-tuition fees

We recommend that students budget AUD$600 per year to cover costs for textbooks, stationery and other sundry costs. The costs of books vary depending on your program. It is advisable for you to buy at a minimum the core textbooks suggested by their lecturers and reading lists.


Perth hosts major events starting with the Perth International Arts Festival in January-February each year. Visit Experience Perth for more information about activities throughout the year.

Entertainment cost estimates:

  • movies: $17
  • eating out: $30
  • take away food: $10 - $15
  • lunch in a cafe: $15 - $30
  • coffee: $4 - $5
  • fast food (McDonalds, KFC, food courts): $10 - $15

Public transport

Perth's public transport network includes buses and trains, servicing the city and suburbs. Find more about travel options at Transperth.