Show me unit information for yearView previous years of our units
UG Coursework Unit
Faculty & College
On-campus teaching in this unit is over two weeks
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
identify relevant professional and ethical frameworks that underpin midwifery practice when working with women experiencing complex postnatal issues
outline referral and consultation processes, and follow up care and services, for the new mother with complex postnatal issues
identify and discuss physiological challenges that women can experience during the postnatal period
identify and discuss the risk factors for, and midwifery care provided when, women and their baby’s experience psychological complexities and adaptations following birth
Prescribed learning resources
- Darroch, S., Bryant, B., Knights, K., & Rowland, A., 2019, Pharmacology for Health Professionals, 5th, Elsevier.
- De-Vitry Smith, S., & Bayes, S., 2019, Skills for midwifery practice Australian & New Zealand edition, 4th edn, Elsevier, Chatswood, NSW. ISBN: 9780729542777.
- Pairman, S., Tracy, S. K., Dahlen, H., & Dixon, L., 2018, Midwifery: preparation for practice, 4th edn, Elsevier, Philadelphia, USA. ISBN: 9780729542678.
- Pollard, M., 2018, Evidence-based Care for Breastfeeding Mothers: A Resource for Midwives and Allied Healthcare Professionals, 2nd edn, Routledge, Milton. ISBN: 9781138650831.
- No prescribed resources/equipment.
Prescribed Learning Resources may change in future Teaching Periods.
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.