Storage and backup
OneDrive (for Business)
The University default and preferred location for a student or staff data is OneDrive
No data should be stored on laptops or desktops, other than a synced copy of what is stored in OneDrive. The risk of malware file encryption makes OneDrive the only safe location, as this storage is constantly backed up and can be recovered if accidentally encrypted by malware/ransomware.
Please use OneDrive for all personal work data that has previously been stored on laptop and computer workstation hard drives, U drive, USB drives or Dropbox/other cloud storage.
Staff also have access to W:Drive for all work unit shared data.
USB drive information
USB Drives are also referred to as memory sticks, thumb drives and flash drives. They are handy but the following is the recommended when using these devices:
- DO NOT WORK DIRECTLY OFF YOUR USB DRIVE!
- REMEMBER TO TAKE YOUR USB DRIVE OUT OF THE COMPUTER!
- Save your work to your U:Drive space first, then copy over to your USB drive.
- Don't store near mobile phones.
- Attach to something (phone, wallet, keys, bag) as they are small and easily lost.