How to Apply for Animal Ethics Approval
All research and teaching that involves the use of live animals is required to be assessed at an ACEC Meeting. When writing an application, the researcher should familiarise themselves with Section 3 of the Code of Practice for the Care and Use of Animals for Scientific Purposes as well as relevant guidelines published by the NHMRC and DPI NSW. These can be found on Resource Links page.
The Application Process
- Download the latest ACEC Animal Research Authority Application.
- For animal research projects with international collaborations, refer to the Conditions of Approval.
- Please refer to the Animal Ethics Top Tips page for further TIPS for completing your application.
- Submit your application including supporting documentation, for example, required licenses and permits, maps locating the sites for research, descriptions of equipment used and scientific journal articles etc. to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This must be done 2 weeks prior to the ACEC meeting. See ACEC Meeting Dates 2021.
- You will receive acknowledgement within 3-5 business days of receipt that the application will be going to the next ACEC meeting for consideration.
- The ethics office will communicate the outcome, in writing within five (5) business days after meeting, resulting in one of the following scenarios:
- Approved without conditions.
- Conditional approval where the Researcher must sign an agreement to adhere to conditions before research can commence.
- The Committee has further questions and you will need to respond or re-submit parts of your application.
- You may be required to resubmit the application.
- The ACEC will then issue an Animal Research Authority which will be valid until February the following year.