Higher Degrees Research
Research with global impact
Take your research career to new heights by joining the vibrant and widely recognised research community at Southern Cross University. By studying a Higher Degree by Research, you will benefit from the expertise and support of other researchers, fellow graduates and staff across a range of disciplines. Our research strengths include the protection and sustainability of the world’s precious marine environments, helping to transform the forestry, mining and agriculture industries, and being at the forefront of the rapidly changing tourism industry.
Higher Degrees Research
Master by thesis
At Southern Cross University, our Master by Thesis degrees equip students for careers in research, academia, industry, policy development and professional leadership. Candidates may study the following:
- Master of Arts and Social Sciences (Research)
- Master of Business (Research)
- Master of Business (Tourism) (Research)
- Master of Education (Research)
- Master of Science (Engineering)
- Master of Laws (Research)
- Master of Science (Environmental Science and Management)
- Master of Science (GeoScience)
- Master of Science (Health Science)
- Master of Science (Plant Science)
- Master of Indigenous Philosophies (Research)
Doctor of Philosophy
Make a significant and original contribution to your field of expertise with a Doctor of Philosophy. Supervised by leading researchers, you will develop new ideas and ways of approaching existing problems, thus creating a positive impact on our future. Candidates may study the following:
- Doctor of Philosophy (Arts and Social Sciences)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Business)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Education)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Engineering)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Environmental Science and Management)
- Doctor of Philosophy (GeoScience)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Health)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Indigenous Philosophies)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Law)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Plant Science)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Tourism)
According to ERA, our researchers include nationally and internationally acknowledged leaders in Earth Science, Ecology and Foresty Sciences and more.
A state-of-the-art engineering and science precinct at the Lismore campus supports high-impact, experimental, numerical-based engineering research.
Providing latest research and innovative solutions, our experts work in research centres spanning from the local community to the world stage.
We have more than 300 academics engaged in learning, teaching and research-related activities at Southern Cross University.
Find a supervisor
If you plan to apply for a Masters degree, Professional Doctorate or Doctorate degree at Southern Cross University, it is essential to first find a supervisor.
Our researchers share a vision that anticipates the future and believes in what is possible. They work closely with industry, community groups, government organisations and peak bodies to develop industry-relevant research of local, national and global value.
Use our 'Find a Supervisor' search, contact your prospective supervisor and gain their consent to be nominated as part of your application.
Southern Cross University also offers research candidates the opportunity to enrol in a multi-badged degree with collaborating institutions in Australia and internationally. Our aim is to establish strong continuing relationships with other Australian and international research universities through the joint research candidate supervision. The multi-badged degrees are open to both international and domestic PhD candidates.
For more information please view or download:
- The Multi-Badged Degrees policy which includes information on the Tertiary Education Quality Assessment Agency's Higher Education Standards Framework
- HDR candidate collaboration agreement
- Australian Qualifications Framework.
Contact the Graduate School
T: +61 2 6626 9186
T: +61 2 6620 3705