Masters by Thesis
Masters by Thesis Course Information
An application may be submitted at any time.
Admission is subject to availability of facilities and supervision.
- Possess a degree equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from the University
- Satisfy additional requirements, if any, that may be prescribed by the Dean (Graduate Studies).
All candidates are expected to be proficient in English comprehension and expression.
2 years full time equivalent.
Sameer Usmani - Masters by Thesis in Engineering
A Masters by Thesis work must show evidence of competence in research and scholarship including:
- Reviewing literature in a critical and focused manner
- Deploying analytic, comparative and critically reflective skills as appropriate
- Gathering and analysing material and interpreting results in an informed and competent manner
- Utilising and justifying appropriate methodologies, techniques and processes.
The Thesis must be clearly, accurately and cogently written and suitably documented. The work must demonstrate originality and a thorough understanding of the field of study.
Eligible applicants can apply for a Research Training Program-supported place. This will provide a tuition fee offset funded by the Australian Government's Research Training Program. Southern Cross University will then supplement this cost to cover the full program tuition fees.
If unsuccessful in obtaining a Research Training Program place, students may be required to pay fees.
Applications are considered on a case by case basis and the process can be highly competitive.
Course fees for International Students are $30,000 per annum, unless a tuition fee waiver has been approved as per the below detailed information.
A request for a tuition fee offset can only be approved by the Dean, Graduate School providing there is support from the Principal Supervisor, DHDRT and Associate Dean (Research). For a request to be considered, the following criteria need to be considered:
- Academic quality of the student is of high standing
- Appropriate level of English proficiency (International English Language Test Score (IELTS) Academic (or equivalent) equal to or above 7.0, with a minimum 7.0 in Writing and no other band less than 6.5)
- Expected research outcomes, quality of project and how it fits with the Supervisory team research areas
- Whether the Faculty and Supervisory team have the resources and facilities to support the project
- If the HDR applicant is not on a scholarship, evidence must be provided that they can support themselves during their candidature.
The Dean, Graduate School, will assess the request according to these criteria together with the application for admission to candidature and will seek further clarification if the above-mentioned criteria are not satisfied. If the tuition fee offset is approved by the Dean, this is recorded in the Student Administration System and conveyed to the student in the letter of offer for admission to candidature.
Tuition Fee Offsets that are not approved will mean the applicant will be required to pay full fees. If it is not obvious that the HDR applicant’s project will enhance the research output of the University and that of the Supervisory team, fees will apply.
How to apply
Starting your career in research is only a few steps away.
Applications for admission to a Higher Degree by Research at Southern Cross University can be made at any time.
Follow these steps to begin your application for a Masters by Thesis.
Contact the Graduate School
T: +61 2 6620 3219
T: +61 2 6626 9186
For general contact details please visit our contacts page.