Southern Cross University is a world-ranked University, combining academic and research excellence with the intimacy and support that comes with being a leading institution in some of the most beautiful and community-led regions of Australia.
In recent years, Southern Cross has progressed up the QS Rankings, Times Higher Education and the Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU), also known as the Shanghai Ranking. These are the most recognised international indices and each has its own methodology. There are about 11,000 universities globally.
Times Higher Education
In 2023, THE ranked Southern Cross University in the top 800 universities globally. THE also ranked Southern Cross as the 164th best Young University in the world. High ranking subject areas for Southern Cross University include:
- Physical Sciences - Top 300
- Psychology - Top 400
- Life Sciences - Top 400
- Education - Top 500
- Social Sciences - Top 500
- Business and Economics - Top 800
- Clinical and Health - Top 800
Academic Ranking of World Universities (ARWU)
In 2023, ARWU ranked Southern Cross University in the top 1000 universities globally. High-ranking subject areas for Southern Cross include:
Hospitality and Tourism Management
Environmental Science and Engineering
Southern Cross University’s reputation as a leading regional research university is affirmed by the prestigious Excellence in Research for Australia (ERA) results.
Released through the Australian Research Council (ARC), the 2018 ERA results show Southern Cross University as performing at or above world standard in 23 different areas of research. Of these, 14 received the highest possible classification of 'well above world standard’.
ERA identifies and promotes excellence across the research spectrum.
Southern Cross achieved 14 ERA-5 results. These fields of research are:
- Earth Sciences
- Environmental Science and Management
- Agriculture and Veterinary Science
- Crop and Pasture production
- Fisheries Sciences
- Forestry Sciences
- Civil Engineering
- Resources Engineering and Extractive Metallurgy
- Complementary and Alternative Medicine
Read more about our research impact.
Good Universities Guide
In 2022, the Good Universities Guide rated Southern Cross University No.1 in Australia for Engineering and Technology, awarding it five stars (the top accolade) for Overall Experience, Student Support, Learning Resources, Teaching Quality and Skills Development.
Business Five Stars
In Accounting, Economics, Business and Management, Southern Cross rated five stars for Full-time Employment, Overall Experience, Student Support, Learning Resources, Teaching Quality and Skills Development.
GUG also awarded five stars for Post-Graduate Students’ Overall Experience, Student Support and Teaching Quality.
Other five-star study areas included:
- Agriculture (Teaching Quality, Student Support)
- Communications (Graduate Salary, Full-time Employment)
- Computing and Information Technology (Overall Experience, Student Support, Teaching Quality, Skills Development, Graduate Salary)
- Environmental Studies (Student Support, Teaching Quality)
- Health Services and Support (Full-time Employment)
- Humanities and Social Sciences (Overall Experience, Skills Development, Full-time Employment)
- Law and Para-Legal Studies (Student Support, Teaching Quality)
- Mathematics (Learning Resources, Teaching Quality, Student Support)
- Nursing (Full-time Employment)
- Psychology (Student Support, Teaching Quality)
- Sciences (Learning Resources, Student Support, Teaching Quality)
The Quality Indicators for Learning and Teaching (QILT) is a government-funded agency that independently surveys all universities in Australia.
Its latest Student Experience Survey in 2022 (released June 2023) shows Southern Cross University scoring 77.1% for students’ Skills Development; 75.2% for Teaching Quality; 70.7% for Student Support; and 81.3% for Learning Resources.
Overall Educational Experience score was 67.1%.