Applying for a position
Your application is a summary of what you would like us to know about your skills and experience, relevant to the position you are applying for. The following information is provided to assist you in preparing your application:
Find out as much information as possible about the position, the University (including its Values, focus and strategic direction) and the region to help you decide whether applying for a position at Southern Cross University is right for you.
- Examine the position advertisement and decide whether you have the skills, qualifications, experience and personal attributes the position requires;
- Review what you have discovered and consider whether our Values, strategic direction and the role are the right fit for you;
- Speak to the contact person to obtain more information about the role, ask questions or clarify any concerns you may have;
- Use the links provided in Southern Cross University at a glance and Why work at Southern Cross University to find out more about the University and the region; and, if appropriate
- Discuss your intentions with family members who may be affected by your plans.
The information in your application will be used to determine whether or not you are invited for an interview.
Complete your application online, uploading your current curriculum vitaé (CV) and respond to each of the selection criteria.
As part of your application, you will be required to provide contact details for two referees who are either your current or recent supervisor. Let your referees know they may be contacted to comment on your recent work performance (your referees may find it helpful if you provide them with a copy of the position description).
The statement you provide addressing each of the selection criteria plays a critical part in the Panel's assessment of your application.
Address each of the selection criteria separately, giving clear and concise examples that demonstrate how you meet the criteria (eg provide your relevant work experience or describe a situation where you have demonstrated this skill or personal attribute) [see Hints for your application].
Your CV should cover the major positions you have held in chronological order, with your most recent position listed first.
- Title and level of the position;
- Dates (month and year) employed in the position;
- Reasons for leaving or wanting to leave; and
- Responsibilities and main duties for each position.
Also include a summary of your educational qualifications and relevant training courses completed, together with any awards received and membership of professional bodies. Please do not attach copies of these qualifications or certificates.
Your online application should be completed by the advertised closing date. You will not be able to submit an application after this date.
As part of the online application process, you are able to preview your application details prior to submission.
In addition, you are also able to access existing applications that have previously been submitted through My Applications, under the My Profile menu.