Contractors and Visitors

Southern Cross University’s (SCU) obligated by Workplace Health & Safety legislation to, as much as reasonably practicable, ensure its Contractors, Service Providers and Visitors perform and carry out work in a safe manner. To achieve this Contractors, Service Providers and Visitors must ensure the risk of identified hazards are eliminated or controlled to avoid injury, as much as reasonably practicable, and are expected to act and work safely at all times; complying with their obligations under the relevant Work Health & Safety legislation, Codes of Practice and Australian Standards.

SCU have developed a Contractor Safety Procedure which includes a number of systems to control risks onsite including, but is not limited to:

  • All Contractors, Service Providers and Visitors must sign in immediately upon arrival.
  • Design, implementation and submission of all safety documentation for tasks on campus (i.e. Safe Work Procedures (SWP) or Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS), Risk Assessment (RA) or Job Safety Analysis (JSA) and Safety Data Sheets (SDS); if applicable).
  • Use of appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and tools/equipment.
  • Ensure adequate instruction, training and supervision.
  • Record of contractor insurance certificates of currency.

Relevant Work Health & Safety Legislation

New South Wales: Work Health & Safety Act 2011  &  Work Health & Safety Regulation 2017

Queensland: Work Health & Safety Act 2011  &  Work Health & Safety Regulation 2011


All businesses engaged by SCU for works must first register to be a SCU Contractor, provided copies of relevant insurances and safety documentation, and request contractor inductions for all workers, at least 3 days prior, to attending site. 

Every worker attending site for works is required to complete the Property Services Online Contractor Induction.  To allow adequate time for processing, induction requests must be sent to at least 3 days prior to arriving on site. This new induction can be accessed on all devices (computer, tablet or mobile) and has been developed to support and provide workers with information focused on:

More information on how to request a Contractor Induction and submit Safety Documentation, can be found below.

For arrival and access information, please click HERE.

To register as a SCU Contractor?

Send a 'REGISTRATION REQUEST - Property Services' to with copies of your company insurance documentation (public liability and workers compensation or accident & illness Policy for sole traders) attached.  Soon after your request is received, the finance department will be informed who will ask you to complete the Financial Operations New Supplier Request Form.

How to complete the Contractor Induction?

To assist you with the induction process, we have develop Contractor Induction Procedures and Contractor Induction Step-by-Step Instructions which outline each step you must take to be inducted and ready for an SCU worksite.  All induction requests must be sent to to be processed and must include each workers name and direct email address (no group emails).

Every new worker will need to register for an account before they can proceed; they will need to keep their log in details as they will need to log back into this account to complete induction refreshers when it expires after 3 years.  If a worker forgets their log in or password, they can reset this via the LOG IN portal or contact Property Services via

Before commencing any work on an SCU site, you must complete and provide a copy of the relevant safety documentation to Property Services; this may include, but is not limited to:

  • Safe Work Procedures (SWP)
  • Risk Assessments (RA)
  • Safe Work Method Statements (SWMS) 
  • Pre-Start Meeting Records
  • Accreditation Certificate/ Specific Trade Licence (i.e. Rope Access)
  • Permits to Work
Permits to Work

Confined Spaces or Restricted Access Permit can be provided upon request to the Property Services Office on (02) 6620 3222 or (02) 6626 9505. All permits and service impairments must be approved before work commences; once you have filled out a permit, return it to so approval can be arranged.

Permits to work are required by contractors for activities including:

  • Asbestos or lead paint removal
  • Working at heights (including scaffolding, EWP, ladders with risk of <2m fall)
  • Working in confined spaces
  • Fire systems interruption
  • All excavation and ground penetration work
  • Hot works (including welding)
  • Dust works (creating excessive dust)

Download a Hot Work Permit and Risk Assessment.

Download a Working at Heights Permit, Risk Assessment and Rescue Plan .

Fire Impairment Requests

If you require fire systems to be isolated, please follow the below procedures.

  • Lismore & NMSC:  Complete a Fire Impairment Request Form each time an isolation is required. If you cannot access the form, contact Property Services.
  • Gold Coast: Send an email with your fire impairment request details to the Gold Coast Site Supervisor.
Asbestos Removal

A Restricted Access Permit will be provided by the Manager, Minor & Capital Works or Contractor Compliance Officer prior to work. This permit and any other safety documentation must be completed and returned at least 24 hours prior to work commencing as it will require Site Supervisor review and approval. A final copy will be returned once it is approved and at this stage, work will be allowed to commence.

For more information regarding asbestos at SCU, please visit our Hazard Management webpage.


All SCU engaged Visitors must complete a SCU Visitor Induction. To accommodate the wide variety of SCU Visitors and to ensure each visitor is appropriately induced to safely work / study at our campuses, the Property Services Visitor Induction has been broken into Two(2) categories. The SCU staff member engaging your services and supervising your visit is called your SCU Staff Supervisor - these SCU Staff Supervisors will determine which of the below inductions will apply to you.

  • Visitor Induction Checklist for Short-Term Visitors
  • Online Visitor Induction via  the website for Long Term Visitors

SCU Visitor - what are the next steps?

Visitor Induction Checklist - For Short-Term Visitors

If your SCU Staff Supervisor has not provided you with any induction information, please submit a request to and we'll get the process started.