For staff

If you use copyright material as part of your work, you are required to observe copyright law. The statutory licence enables defined amounts of copyright material to be used for the educational purposes of the University.

The golden rules

All materials

  • Unless copying is allowable under the statutory licence or fair dealing (personal use) provisions, permission is generally required.
  • If you do require permission from copyright owners, do this BEFORE basing your course on particular items.
  • No provision is made where copyright owners cannot be located. If you require permission and do not have it, the material cannot be used.
  • The statutory licence provisions relating to reproduction for the educational purposes of the institution apply to all the published materials produced for a unit. If different staff members are compiling sections of course material, make sure the package as a whole complies with licensing requirements.
  • The statutory licence also covers the administrative purposes of the institution, e.g. staff training.
  • Copyright generally lasts for the life of the creator plus 70 years and is not renewable, regardless of who owns the copyright. See the length of copyright page for more information.
  • Please contact the Copyright Office should you have ANY questions relating to your intended actions.
  • Staff can use copies of TV and radio broadcasts for teaching purposes. Amendments to the Copyright Act have extended the statutory licence to include podcasts of broadcasted material.

Digital copies

  • Items that are distributed to students in electronic form (e.g. CDRom, or communicated via an email attachment or made available online) must be registered.
  • Both reproduction limits AND communication limits must be adhered to if you are making copyright material available online under our statutory licence. A summary of the amounts that can be copied and communicated, and under what conditions, is available on the How much can I copy? page.
  • Every electronic reproduction of print and graphic work or broadcast copy made in reliance on the educational statutory licence should contain the 113P Copyright warning notice or AV Warning Notice containing information about copyright.
  • Digital copies of print and graphic material must be registered in myReadings and recordings from television can be sourced from ClickView.
  • Contact the Copyright Office for clarification.