Using DVDs, YouTube and videos

Using recordings from television and radio in your teaching

The University's Screenrights licence allows the University to make copies for educational purposes of any radio or television broadcast received in Australia. More extensive details are available on the Screenrights page. The Library manages this licence via the ClickView platform which enables content to be embedded into your BlackBoard unit.

In brief this licence allows you to:

  • Copy any radio or television broadcast received in Australia including documentaries, movies, news, advertisements, etc. in whole or in part.
  • copy podcasts of any radio or television broadcast received in Australia in whole or in part
  • make multiple copies for your student cohort and distribute in your learning materials CD or via a thumb drive
  • copy items to a laptop for screening to your class
  • communicate the copy via Blackboard
  • make compilations from copied materials.
  • place copies in the Library collection.

Provided that:

  • recordings are only be used for educational purposes
  • copies are only available to SCU staff and students
  • online access to copies must be restricted to SCU staff and students
  • a AV Warning Notice must be displayed and the container and copy must be correctly labelled.

Using hired or purchased DVDs or videos

  • You can show a commercially hired DVD or video in the classroom as part of your course of instruction as long as the audience is restricted to the staff and students of SCU.
  • You must ensure that the copy that you show is not an infringing copy i.e. it has not been illegally downloaded or copied.
  • In most cases you will not be able to stream or copy an entire commercial DVD and permission from the copyright owner must be sought if you wish to do this. However in certain circumstances, where only portions of the DVD are to be used, you may be able to apply s200AB. The s200AB flexible dealing provisions must be applied on a case by case basis so please contact the Copyright officer if you want to apply this provision.
  • If you are showing the DVD for entertainment purposes and members of the public are present you will need to obtain a non-theatrical exhibition licence. You cannot screen a copy that has been hired from a video shop as you may be in breach of your licence with them. It is recommended that you purchase or rent the film, DVD or video from a supplier that can also give you permission to screen the material on behalf of the copyright owners.
  • Permission may be available from the following organisations:

Using YouTube

  • You can show a YouTube video in class for educational purposes as long as you stream it directly from the YouTube site and the audience is restricted to the staff and students of SCU.
  • You can embed a YouTube video in your Blackboard site however you must take care not to embed or link to material that is an illegal copy.
  • You cannot download a YouTube video to show in class nor can you make a copy to place in Blackboard as this is against YouTube's terms of use. To do either of these things would require the circumvention of a technological protection measure which is illegal.
  • More information on YouTube is available from the Australian Copyright Council website.