Recreation trips and tours
Get active! And join one of SCU’s recreational trips, tours or programs as a great way to meet other people in a fun, friendly outdoor environment — open to students, staff, and alumni.
UniLife have put together a series of activities that will expose you to many new recreational experiences which will hopefully challenge and allow you to achieve personal growth (or, at the very least, tick the below type of activities off your bucket list).
SCU Snow Tour
The 2021 SCU Snow Tour will be heading over the pond to Queenstown, New Zealand. The week-long tour will take on what this adrenaline filled town can throw at us, including visiting four ski fields: Coronet Peak, The Remarkables, Treble Cone and Cardrona. The tour will take place during the Session 2 study break (16–23 August) and is always popular for those that are looking for an energetic and fun filled winter experience.
Download the SCU New Zealand Snow Tour Itinerary 2021
Byron Bay Learn to Surf Camp
The SCU Surf Camps stays absolute beach front in the beautiful Byron Bay. It provides provides a unique opportunity for the first-time surfer to experience the exhilaration of riding your first wave.
This recreational tour is the perfect way for new students to SCU to meet new friends and enjoy the vibe of this iconic location. These surf camps are all-inclusive with all equipment, transport, accommodation, food, tuition and waves provided. Open to SCU staff and students only.
- Camp 1: 12-14 March 2021 (Session 1, Autumn)
- Camp 2: 3-5 September 2021 (Session 2, Spring)
- Camp 3: 5-7 November 2021 (Session 3, Summer)
SCU Discount price of $289! (Save approx. $150)
- 2 nights’ accommodation at Surf Camp Byron Bay. (absolute beachfront)
- 1 × 2-hour Surfing lessons with awesome surf instructors
- 1 × Stand Up Paddle Boarding lesson
- 1 × Sea Kayak trip with dolphins
- 1 × Beach Volleyball competition
- 1 × Free diving introductory class
- Free time to explore Byron bay
- All equipment, surfboards and wetsuits included
- Return bus from Southern Cross University from Gold Coast, Lismore & Coffs
- All meals catered for while at camp (Includes Aussie BBQ!)
- Sightseeing tour to Byron Lighthouse
Download the SCU Learn to Surf Camp Itinerary 2021
2021 Beach and Water Safety Program
Ride a Wave
Undertake a 5 week Learn to Surf Program at Coolangatta. The weekly sessions will help you to develop basic surfing skills including paddling, standing up on your board and understanding the surf conditions. This program is conducted by accredited staff from local surf school ‘Walking On Water’ and is recommended for competent swimmers who want to learn how to ride a surfboard or bodyboard.
Session 1 Summer Program
5 lesson program (5 weeks × 1 lesson per week)
SPECIAL student price: $110
Day: Friday mornings
Time: 8am - 9.30am (QLD time) each week
Location: Greenmount Beach, Coolangatta, QLD 4225
Commencing Friday 12 March, through until Friday 9 April
Upcoming program dates
Session 2: 10 September – 8 October 2021
Session 3: 12 November – 10 December 2021
Please contact the UniLife team by email: firstname.lastname@example.org