Elite Athletes and Performers
SCU is a member of the an Elite Athlete University Network (EAUN)
The EAUN program supports Australia’s elite athletes to achieve academic excellence whilst pursuing a sporting career. The value of combining both sport and higher education to achieve greater life success is well recognised across the university and sporting sectors.
At SCU, elite athletes may require additional support to maintain their sporting excellence and our Elite Athlete and Performer Program has been designed to support and encourage students in managing both areas of their life to ensure that they can achieve their goals.
Benefits of the Elite Athlete and performer program
SCU understands that sometimes elite athletes and performers may have difficulty meeting assignment deadlines or sitting an exam due to the demands of their respective industry.
SCU can assist in:
- Flexible and responsive approach to admissions and enrolment
- Deferring assignments/exams
- Making alternate arrangements for sitting exams
- Flexibility in course structure
- Study on-campus or via distance education
As a member of the Elite Athlete and Performer Program, you may seek to negotiate your study schedule, including timetables and assessment with your unit assessor-in-charge (and/or course coordinator). The Elite Athlete and Performer Program Coordinators will support your applications for assistance with academic adjustments (where evidenced). In addition to this, you can receive support from the academic skills unit and career guidance services.
Elite Athlete: An Elite Athlete is defined as someone who has been identified as elite by one of the following organisations:
- Australian Institute of Sport (AIS)State & Territory Institutes or Academies of Sport (e.g. NSWIS)
- AFL Players’ Association
- Australian Cricketers’ Association
- Rugby Union Players’ Association
- Rugby League Professionals’ Association
- Australian Professional Footballers Association
- Australian Basketballers Association
- National senior squad members from Sport Australia funded sports
- If an athlete falls outside of these organisations they may submit an application for consideration by the University.
Elite Performer: An Elite Performer is defined as someone who participates in significant state, national or international performances, productions, installations, competitions or events such as those affiliated with, but not limited to:
Applying for the Elite Athlete and Performer Program
Students must complete and submit an online application direct to the Elite Athlete and Performer Coordinators. In this application, you will need to provide supporting documentation from your national or state high performance unit or coach as evidence of your sporting endeavours to be considered for this program:
Student Athletes are able to apply for once off additional funding of up to $500 to assist with travel and accommodation when competing at elite sporting event. NB: or up to $1000 if selected in a World University Games or Championship Team). This financial assistance will be given at the discretion of the university upon application with supporting documentation of approaching competition.
UniSport Australia Nationals Subsidies
Elite Athletes or Performers may be entitled to subsidised fees for representing SCU at national and international events endorsed by UnivSport Australia.
Important points before applying for the Elite Athlete and Performer Program financial support:
- Have confirmation of your Elite Athlete status in SCU’s Elite Athlete Program.
- Ensure that you have all supporting documentation including, letter of selection, competition/event details, indication of any player levy/cost associated with being part of this team.
- Are willing to provide a high quality photo that SCU may use for promotional purposes.
SCU Gym Scholarship
12 month Gym Scholarship to the University’s Fitness Centre “SCU Fitness for U” (Lismore and Coffs Harbour campuses only)
Elite Athlete and Performer Coordinators
- Dave Graham
Coordinator of the Elite Athlete Program
02 6620 3220
- General Elite Athlete and Performer Program Enquiries:
Current Elite Athletes
Some of our Elite Athletes who have benefitted from the SCU Elite Athlete Program over the last 12 months include:
Elite Athletes and Performers Program enquiry and contact
For further information, contact: