General English (GE)
Grow your English Language proficiency through the SCU College General English (GE) program. This program will help you develop your English speaking, listening, reading and writing skills while focusing on communicative English. Grow your skills while putting them into practice in real-world contexts.
Our GE classes may be mixed-level ability:
- Pre-intermediate English (CEFR A2 – B1)
- Intermediate English (CEFR B2)
- Upper-intermediate English (CEFR B2+)
- Advanced English (CEFR C1).
How to apply
Complete and submit an International Application for Admission form. Follow the instructions on the application form to submit your completed application.
When can I start?
It depends on your current level of English. GE programs are based on individual requirements and can be 4 to 50 weeks in duration. Generally, classes start on Mondays (except at Easter, Christmas and session breaks) as listed below:
|2022 Breaks||2023 Breaks|
|Monday 18 April 2022 - Monday 25 April 2022||Monday 19 December 2022 - Monday 2 January 2023|
|Monday 15 August 2022 - Sunday 21 August 2022||Monday 17 April 2023 - Sunday 23 April 2023|
|Monday 19 December 2022 - Monday 2 January 2023||Monday 14 August 2023 - Sunday 20 August 2023|
|2022 Public Holidays||2023 Public Holidays|
|Monday 3 January 2022||Monday 2 January 2023|
|Wednesday 26 January 2022||Thursday 26 January 2023|
|Friday 15 April 2022||Friday 7 April 2023|
|Monday 18 April 2022||Monday 10 April 2023|
|Monday 25 April 2022||Tuesday 25 April 2023|
|Monday 2 May 2022 (Gold Coast Campus ONLY)||Monday 1 May 2023 (Gold Coast Campus ONLY)|
|Monday 13 June 2022 (Lismore Campus ONLY)||Monday 12 June 2023 (Lismore Campus ONLY)|
|Monday 3 October 2022||Monday 2 October 2023|
To study your GE program you will need to be on a tourist, working holiday or student visa. Class attendance is closely monitored as per the Attendance Policy for ELICOS Programs.
What will I study?
All General English classes include:
- 20 hours of face-to-face tuition per week from experienced and qualified ESL teachers
- 5 hours of independent self-study
- Computer access during and after class
- Formative and summative class assessment
- Access to library, computer laboratories and other university facilities
- Program completion documents.
Successful completion of the General English program may lead to enrolment in diplomas through to postgraduate qualifications. Please contact us for entry levels for specific programs.
What will it cost?
2021/2022 Tuition costs:
- $450 per week (20 hours face-to-face tuition + 5 hours self-study)
- $240 enrolment fee (non-refundable).
- $300 Workplace Observation placement fee.