English language programs
Southern Cross University offers a supportive learning environment for our international students who need additional English language support through SCU College at our Gold Coast and Lismore campuses. Learning to study English in a regional university environment, provides lots of opportunities to practise and increases your confidence.
|Course||Lismore||Coffs Harbour||Gold Coast|
|English for Academic Purposes*||•||•|
*These courses are registered with the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and the SCU College are fully accredited by National English Language Teaching Accreditation Scheme (NEAS).
2020/2021 Tuition costs:
- $450 per week (20 hours face-to-face tuition + 5 hours self-study)
- $240 enrolment fee (non-refundable).
- $300 Workplace Observation placement fee.
2020/2021 Homestay costs:
|Coffs Harbour||Lismore||Gold Coast|
|Single (1 student per family, 18 years or over)||$330 (2020)
|Shared (2 or more students per family, 18 years or over)||$300 (2020)
|Single (1 student per family 17 years or under)||$350 (2020)
|Shared (2 or more students per family, 17 years or under)||$330 (2020)
|All costs include 3 meals per day, wifi and transport to campus|
2020/2021 Homestay Placement Fees (per placement)
Lismore - Placement fee (single) $290
Lismore - Placement fee (shared) $240
Coffs Harbour – Placement fee (single) $290
Coffs Harbour – Placement fee (shared) $240
Gold Coast – Placement fee (single or shared) $290
Medical insurance costs:
- Overseas Student Health Cover is compulsory for all international students
- Indicative cost for 12 months $605 (effective February 2018).
Costs associated with Study Tours are negotiated with each tour group and depend on activities arranged.
*Fees are in Australian dollars and are correct at time of publication (September 2018)
Students are able to obtain refund of fees under some circumstances. See Tuition Fees Refund Policy.
See specifics by clicking on each program name in in the table above.
All Academic English and General English classes include:
- 20 hours of face-to-face tuition per week from experienced and qualified ESL teachers
- 5 hours of independent self-study
- Computer access after class hours and one hour per week with class
- Formative and summative class assessment
- Access to library, computer laboratories and other university facilities
- Course Completion documents.
Although timetables may vary, generally:
- At Lismore and Coffs Harbour** campuses English language classes are from 9:00am to 2:00pm with self-study from 2:00pm - 3:00pm.
- At Gold Coast campus English classes are from 8:30am - 1:15pm followed by an hour of self-study or 1:30pm - 6:15pm followed by an hour of self-study. These scheduled timings are subject to availability.
- There are lunch, morning and afternoon breaks each day.
- Every class has reserved computer laboratory times each week during class times.
- Students have access to email and the internet after and before class in one of the many university computer laboratories.
** Only Study Tours are available at Coffs Harbour.
General English and English for Academic Purposes programs are pathways to university study. Depending on your English language proficiency, English Language Programs lead to enrolment in diplomas through to postgraduate qualifications. See entry levels for specific courses below.
More useful information
Discover what life at Southern Cross University is all about and how you can get involved and engage with the community.
Cost of living
Interested to know just how much it costs to live in Australia? Find a general guide on our cost of living page.
Withdrawals and Release, Refunds
A list of frequently asked questions containing information on course withdrawals, the process for withdrawing or changing a course, and much more.
Our team at SCU College has experience in working with students from non-English speaking backgrounds and can help find the right English language course for you.