The EndNote program enables you to store and manage your references, to create bibliographies and to use the "Cite While You Write" feature.
For information about using the EndNote program, please refer to the EndNote LibGuide
This download is for staff and students of SCU only.
Note: It is essential that you extract the contents of this zip file before you attempt to run the install program. See the video and instructions for Mac or Windows on this page.
- Once you have read the instructions, fill out the EndNote End user licence agreement You will then be taken to the download page (Chrome or Firefox recommended).
- The licence form must be completed annually.
- Complete the license agreement to access the downloads page
- Click the applicable EndNote version to download the zip file
- Locate the downloaded zip file and extract the contents of the zip file - there are 2 files inside the zip file: Enx9Inst.msi and Licence.dat.
The files MUST be fully extracted in order to work properly:
- If you do not have an "extract all" option, try viewing the zip file in Windows Explorer or My Computer - Browse to view your downloads and then do a single-click on the zip file - you will see the contents of the zip file in the right pane, do you get an "extract all files" button appearing at the top left of this window? Click this button.
- Right-click the zip file, look for an "extract all" option and choose where to extract the files to.
- In the extracted folder, double-click the Enx9Inst.msi file to start the installation.
- After installing EndNote, you can delete the zip file and the extracted folder & contents.
Complete the EndNote End user licence agreement to access the download page.
Warning for Macintosh users with Sierra OS: this is compatible only with EndNote X8.
- Download the .dmg file from the link on the Download page
- Double-click the .dmg file to mount it
- When the following window appears, click on the EndNote X8 folder icon and drag it onto the picture of the Applications folder
- Then open your Applications folder in Finder
- Open the EndNote X8 folder and run the program EndNote X8
Complete the EndNote End user licence agreement to access the download page (Note: the download page may not display correctly using Safari, we advise using Chrome or Firefox).
Warning for Macintosh users updating to ENX9
- Upgrading to ENX9.3.1 will create a new, converted version of the library for use with X9.3.1, but will not alter the original file. The original file will still be able to open in X9.2 and earlier, however, users should be encouraged to use Sync to move between versions of EndNote to keep the data up to date.
- EndNote X9.3.1 Mac libraries are currently not cross-platform compatible with EndNote for Windows. The X9.3.1 patch for EndNote (Windows) will be available later this year to restore cross-platform compatibility. Users are encouraged to use Sync to move their library between X9.2 Win and X9.3.1 Mac until the update is ready.