2024 unit offering information will be available in November 2023
Provides an introduction to the molecular evolution of life on earth, cell structure and function, physio-chemical cellular responses, elementary genetics, as well as practical techniques required to demonstrate biological processes. Initiates the development of competence in scientific report writing.
1. Evolution of life and criteria for living organisms
2. Molecular basis of life
3. Cell structure and theory of endosymbiosis
4. Cellular processes
5. Cell replication, mutation and evolution
6. Microbial diversity and roles in ecosystems
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||describe the structure of cells and biological molecules including DNA, RNA, and proteins|
|2||understand key biological processes, including photosynthesis and respiration|
|3||describe the diversity of microbial life and its important role in natural and anthropogenic systems|
|4||demonstrate competence in practical skills and scientific report writing.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- describe the structure of cells and biological molecules including DNA, RNA, and proteins
- understand key biological processes, including photosynthesis and respiration
- describe the diversity of microbial life and its important role in natural and anthropogenic systems
- demonstrate competence in practical skills and scientific report writing.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.