2024 unit offering information will be available in November 2023
Moves students through the major tenets of educational theory and research methodology. Students will engage with cutting-edge, conventional and historic theories and methodologies in education and the social sciences. They will examine qualitative, post-qualitative and quantitative methodologies, and how they may be put to work with/through theory. The unit incorporates direct research experience enabling students to work and play with theory and methodology in creative and innovative ways.
- What comes before theory: Playing with the ‘ologies’;
- Playing and working with theorists and theory in education and learning; and
- Paying and working with methodology: Qualitative, post-qualitative and quantitative methodologies.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||critically identify the major tenets of educational theory|
|2||critically identify the major tenets of educational research methodologies|
|3||understand the nexus between epistemology, theory, methodology and methods in educational research|
|4||identify appropriate theory and research methodology to address educational problems or issues|
|5||design, plan and pilot a theory/methodology for an identified educational problem or issue|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- critically identify the major tenets of educational theory
- critically identify the major tenets of educational research methodologies
- understand the nexus between epistemology, theory, methodology and methods in educational research
- identify appropriate theory and research methodology to address educational problems or issues
- design, plan and pilot a theory/methodology for an identified educational problem or issue
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.