Introduces students to the application of computational and numerical methods for simulation, optimisation, linear and non-linear equations, differentiation and integration. Develops skills in applying numerical methods for solving application problems, utilising software such as Microsoft Excel and Visual Basic for Applications programming.
- Introduction to Excel and mathematical programming
- Solving mathematical programming and simulation problems
- Visual Basic for applications (part 1)
- Visual Basic for applications (part 2)
- Solving equations and data manipulation
- Numerical integration and differentiation
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||utilise Excel and Visual Basic for Applications to implement computational and numerical methods for solving problems|
|2||formulate and solve mathematical programming problems|
|3||implement numerical algorithms for computing solutions of problems such as non-linear and linear equations, numerical differentiation and numerical integration|
|4||demonstrate proficiency in the application of simulations, such as Monte Carlo simulations.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- utilise Excel and Visual Basic for Applications to implement computational and numerical methods for solving problems
- formulate and solve mathematical programming problems
- implement numerical algorithms for computing solutions of problems such as non-linear and linear equations, numerical differentiation and numerical integration
- demonstrate proficiency in the application of simulations, such as Monte Carlo simulations.
Prescribed Learning Resources
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.