Provides students with basic principles, theories and application of health psychology. This covers various issues including: adaptation to and management of illness and symptoms, pain perception, and adherence to medicines/treatment recommendations. Through collaborative tutorial learning in using scenarios with different characters, and the use of online discussion forums, students will consider the meaning of health and illness in differing contexts and apply health psychology theory. Students will also record a podcast on a health behaviour change intervention.
- Defining health and illness – psychological models of health
- Pain and symptom perception
- Adherence to medicines/treatment
- Emotions and health
- Basics of health behaviour change 1
- Basics of health behaviour change 2
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||compare multiple definitions of health and subsequent implications for engagement with health services|
|2||align influences on pain/symptom experience with adherence to treatment|
|3||describe alignments between personality traits, emotions and health behaviours|
|4||discuss primary, secondary and tertiary health behaviour change alongside relevant psychological models of health|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- compare multiple definitions of health and subsequent implications for engagement with health services
- align influences on pain/symptom experience with adherence to treatment
- describe alignments between personality traits, emotions and health behaviours
- discuss primary, secondary and tertiary health behaviour change alongside relevant psychological models of health
Prescribed Learning Resources
- No prescribed texts.
- No prescribed resources/equipment.
- Prescribed text information is not currently available.
- Prescribed resources/equipment information is not currently available.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.