2024 unit offering information will be available in November 2023
Overviews the use of counselling skills within human services work within an Australian context, and shows how research, personal self-awareness and skill development contribute to the development of the therapeutic relationship.
- Listening deeply in human services
- Theories that inform human services practice
- Micro skills l
- Micro skills ll
- The ‘counselling’ process
- Access, ethics and critical self-reflection
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||discuss the use of counselling techniques in human services practice, addressing questions of ethical practice|
|2||describe basic principles of psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioural and humanistic-existential theories|
|3||demonstrate beginning counselling skills|
|4||reflect upon and evaluate the importance of self-awareness, their own values and beginning skill development.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- discuss the use of counselling techniques in human services practice, addressing questions of ethical practice
- describe basic principles of psychodynamic, cognitive-behavioural and humanistic-existential theories
- demonstrate beginning counselling skills
- reflect upon and evaluate the importance of self-awareness, their own values and beginning skill development.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.