Introduces students to a number of contemporary written texts. Major issues and themes are identified and a number of critical methods are exploited. Particular attention is paid to those issues and themes which can be seen as having special relevance to postcolonial societies. There is an emphasis on Australian writing.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||identify and discuss some of the major issues and themes in contemporary writing|
|2||identify issues and themes of particular relevance to postcolonial societies|
|3||recognise the value of different critical/theoretical approaches in analysing contemporary writing|
|4||demonstrate ability with academic writing, including essay writing, research, and referencing.|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- identify and discuss some of the major issues and themes in contemporary writing
- identify issues and themes of particular relevance to postcolonial societies
- recognise the value of different critical/theoretical approaches in analysing contemporary writing
- demonstrate ability with academic writing, including essay writing, research, and referencing.
- Available as a standalone novella (Seizure/Xoum, 2017) or within the collection The Burnished Sun (UQP, 2022): Mirandi Riwoe, 2017, The Fish Girl, Any, Seizure/Xoum, Sydney. ISBN: 9781925589061.
- Melissa Lukashenko, 2013, Mullumbimby, University of Queensland Press, St Lucia. ISBN: 9780702239199.
- Originally published 2018: Robbie Arnott, 2020, Flames, Any, Text Publishing, Sydney. ISBN: 9781922268211.
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.