Student computer labs
General-purpose computing labs
General-purpose computing labs are available for use by all SCU students. All labs provide:
- Location and access hours for all labs
- Support and maintenance of the general-purpose computing labs.
- Provision of a standard operating environment, with standard suite of software available.
- Preparation of software builds for computers based on teaching requirements.
- Support for students on computing matters associated with the use of the labs and associated network services.
- Assistance to teaching staff during classes for any matter related to the use of the facilities.
- Provision of standard print services.
Some computing labs are available at all times for casual use ie. they are not timetabled for teaching purposes. Labs that are timetabled are still available for casual use, however, if a class is scheduled to commence, please ensure you vacate the room in time for the class to commence.
There are also computers available for use in the Library e-Space and some Schools have dedicated computer labs for students enrolled in their courses [campus maps]. Lismore campus Library provides connectivity for your laptop to the local area network through either wireless or an ethernet cabled connection. You may configure either connection yourself or have library support staff assist you.
Students and staff members are not to connect their personal computer equipment to the network in any computing lab on any SCU campus.
Find an available lab computer on any of our campuses.
Training and support
Support is provided for:
- hardware problems: equipment faults
- system accounts: login details, passwords, disk quotas
- printing queries and problems and supply of paper and toner for printers
- general support for standard software: Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer and SCU Email.
Course-related assistance is only provided by your lecturer or tutor. We strongly encourage the use of the 'HELP' feature of the software program you are using, before seeking help from the lab support staff.
Teaching staff who will be using the labs are encouraged to contact the audiovisual staff via the Service Desk to familiarise themselves with equipment and software available.
Usually scheduled before 7am and after 8pm where possible to minimise disruption.