If you receive an offer of employment with the University, you will sign a Contract of Employment for Casual Staff. The contract will specify:

  • Your start and end dates;
  • Your duties;
  • The maximum number of hours that may be worked;
  • The rate of pay for each classification of duty required;
  • A statement that any additional duties required by the Head of Work Unit during the term will be paid for; and
  • Other main conditions of employment including the reporting relationships that will apply.

You will also receive a link to the Fair Work Australia Information Statement and Casual Employment Information Statement with your contract.

Do not commence work until you have signed your employment contract.

Your induction is the starting point in settling into University life. It consists of two parts:

  • A work unit induction arranged by your supervisor; and
  • Corporate Induction.

As part of your induction, you will be required to bring originals of the following documents:

  • Your passport, Australian birth certificate, Australian citizenship certificate or Australian or New Zealand passport;
  • A valid working visa or certificate of evidence of resident status from the Department of Home Affairs (must be provided unless you are an Australian or New Zealand citizen); and
  • Your academic transcripts, testamurs or certificates.
    If your name now differs from that recorded on the academic qualifications you provide, you will need to provide documentary proof of your change of name (such as a marriage certificate or statutory declaration).

You will also be informed about workplace health and safety at the University and mandatory training you are required to complete.

If you have not already commenced your induction proceed to Induction for New Employees to complete it now.

In your first week, you will need to obtain a Staff ID Card. This card should be carried with you at all times while on any University campus. It is also used to gain library borrowing rights and approved after-hours access to University buildings.

Take your photo identification (eg your driver's license) to one of the following locations and your ID Card will be printed for you, or contact [email protected] for assistance.

  • Coffs Harbour - Student Centre (Ground Floor, M Block)
  • Gold Coast - The Shared Services Hub
  • Lismore - The Student Centre, Goodman Plaza

If room keys are needed, or after-hours access to University buildings is necessary as part of your duties, complete the appropriate Key and Access Request form and obtain the authorisation required:

Completing the forms and providing the documents requested as part of your Day 1 Corporate Induction, initiates the processes required for you to be paid.

When HR Services has received this information and your signed contract, we will be able to activate your employment record. You will be paid in accordance with your contract for the work you have performed.

At the end of each pay cycle, you will need to complete a pay claim in MyHR. Providing you have referred your MyHR timesheet to the Central Role Approver by close of business on Thursday before payday (the following Thursday) you will receive payment on the next payday (see the Casual pay schedule for details).

Payment is made fortnightly, on a Thursday, by direct deposit into a bank, credit union or building society account.

Further information can be found on the MyHR webpage.

The University has a range of electronic and website systems that you will need to access as part of your employment. When your signed contract and the forms and documents you completed as part of your induction are received by HR Services, your employment record will be activated, enabling you to access these systems (there is usually at least a 24-hour delay between the contract being activated and your system access being established).

Access to University systems will be determined by the type of work you do. For example, if you are lecturing or tutoring you will be required to use systems such as e-academic and Blackboard. Initially, you should discuss your access requirements and training needs with your supervisor.

Technology Services provides you with access to detailed instructions about a range of services that you may need to use and information that you need to be aware of, including:

  • Your computer account and internet access;
  • Access to University systems;
  • Emailing, calendars and Lync;
  • Computers and printers;
  • Telephone and voicemail;
  • Service desk;
  • Business cards and staff directory;
  • Computing policies;
  • Audio-visual, video conference facilities; and
  • Room bookings.

Official University mail must be sent in an official University envelope. Outgoing mail should have the work unit clearly written or stamped on the envelope prior to being left in the work unit's designated mail tray. Even though envelopes have prepaid postage, they cannot be put in an external mailbox.

Ask your work unit's Admin Officer to show you the location of ingoing and outgoing mail trays. Ask for the times the mail is delivered and collected from your work unit.

Your car must display a staff parking permit to access on-campus parking areas. Parking permits/stickers can be obtained by:

  • Coffs Harbour: obtain an 'Application for Parking Sticker' from your support team. Present the completed form to the main reception in A block, together with your Photo ID and a sticker will be provided.
  • Lismore and Gold Coast: completing a Parking Permit Request and presenting it, together with your Photo ID, to either the security staff at the Gatehouse (Lismore) or a Hub Reception representative (Gold Coast).

Lismore campus is a restricted parking area. Further details about parking on campus are available on the Campuses webpage.

For further information, get in touch by using one of the contact methods below:

E[email protected]
T: +61 2 6620 3667