While you are at SCU

While your casual contract will indicate a maximum number of hours, the actual hours you work may vary in accordance with the needs of your work unit.

Casual academic employees are employed on an hourly basis. The hourly rate of pay shown on your contract includes loading in lieu of benefits including all leave entitlements and payment for public holidays.

As a casual academic employee, you may be required to work at any time on any day during the week, in accordance with the University's Timetable Policy. If your role involves student contact, contact requirements and allocated hours will be negotiated as part of your contract.

The terms and conditions of your employment are determined by your contract and the University's current Enterprise Agreement.

The Southern Cross University Enterprise Agreement is a collective agreement that was negotiated with staff unions, accepted by University employees and approved by Fair Work Australia.

HR Services also has a number of policies and procedures which are used in conjunction with the Enterprise Agreement which may affect your employment.

The University superannuation contributions for casual employees are made in accordance with the University Enterprise Agreement and the Superannuation Guarantee (Administration) Act 1992. Choice of fund for superannuation contributions is not available. The University will contribute on your behalf to UniSuper at the prescribed Guarantee Contribution rate.

You have the option to salary sacrifice voluntary contributions into UniSuper if you wish. Further information is available from our Salary Sacrificing webpage. You can also contact UniSuper to discuss this option.

The University strongly recommends that you seek independent financial advice from a qualified adviser, tax agent, accountant or financial planner if you are considering salary sacrificing.

MyHR is the employee self-service module of Aurion, the University's Human Resource Information System (HRIS).

When your MyHR access is established, your logon details will be emailed to you. After receiving these login details, you will be able to access your HR and Payroll information over the Internet using links to MyHR on the intranet (MySCU) or the HR Services website.

MyHR enables you to:

  • Complete and submit your pay claims for payment;
  • View and modify your name, address and emergency contact details;
  • View and print your fortnightly pay advices;
  • Manage your bank accounts and deductions;
  • View your qualifications and employment details; and
  • Apply to attend professional learning programs.

Further information is available from the MyHR website.

If these resources do not answer your queries, further assistance is available by contacting HR Services.

The University's Centre for Teaching and Learning offers workshops for new academic teachers to enhance their skills and confidence and provides online resources. Details of the assistance the Centre provides can be obtained from the website or by emailing [email protected].

If you will have contact with International Students, you are required to complete mandatory training so you understand your statutory responsibilities for International Students. Further information can be obtained from the Planning, Quality & Review website.

In addition to these specific learning opportunities, a range of professional learning opportunities are available to casual academic employees through the Professional Learning Calendar. The focus of the Calendar is to give everyone the opportunity to access timely learning programs, support materials and collegial networks as their learning needs emerge, regardless of campus location.

The Calendar is also a focal point for professional learning provided by:

Discuss your needs with your supervisor and if you require additional information contact:

HR Services
E: [email protected]
T: +61 2 6620 3667

Your supervisor will discuss the requirements of your role and provide you with feedback on your performance. If you have any concerns or require assistance speak with your supervisor in the first instance.

If you are delivering a unit of study, student feedback on Learning and Teaching (Unit Feedback) is also a valuable source of feedback on your performance. Feedback reports are available to individual teachers, the Unit Assessor, and the Heads of Work Unit. Discuss the availability of feedback with your Unit Assessor at the commencement of the teaching period.

It is important that you are aware of the requirements of the Copyright Act and how it affects your work at the University. Familiarise yourself with the Copyright Website.

There are several ways for you to access information about developments and activities within the University community:

  • News, Events and Publications: are advertised on the  University's calendar and news;
  • Community Engagement: details of how SCU engages in positive and sustainable relationships with its communities can be found on the SCU Engagement website;
  • Vice Chancellor's all staff briefings: The Vice Chancellor and Executive group conduct regular briefings at each of the central campuses.
  • Group emails: group emails are a common way for important information to be distributed within the University. Group emails may exist within individual work units, campuses, groups of employees in addition to all staff emails.

With the exception of group emails, the above resources are all available on the SCU website. Your supervisor or work unit's Admin Officer may also be able to help if you are unable to source the information you require.

As part of your contract of employment, you were advised of the location of surveillance cameras on University Campuses. The University also monitors:

  • Swipe card access to buildings or secure parts of the University. Details are recorded as part of the University's central security system;
  • Internet traffic as part the Internet Accounting Service. Monitoring includes usage statistics and site tracking; and
  • Telephone call destinations. These are itemised and used for billing purposes within the University.

Academic employees are supported by the National Tertiary Education Union (NTEU).

For further information, get in touch by using one of the contact methods below:

E[email protected]
T: +61 2 6620 3667