2024 unit offering information will be available in November 2023
Introduces students to the culture of academic enquiry and the conventions of written communication at university. The skills developed in this unit focus on critical thinking and analysis, academic reading, academic writing, academic integrity, information literacy and research skills.
- Role of evidence in the culture of writing in the university context
Reading and summarising
- Question analysis
- Efficient reading
- Readings from different genres
- Paraphrasing, summarising and quoting
Preparation to write an essay
- Searching for, evaluating and comprehending sources
- What is an essay?
- Essay plan - Writing an essay
- Structure of an essay and the nature of building an argument
- Writing introduction, paragraphs, conclusion and reference list
- Reflecting on academic essay writing.
Unit Learning Outcomes express learning achievement in terms of what a student should know, understand and be able to do on completion of a unit. These outcomes are aligned with the graduate attributes. The unit learning outcomes and graduate attributes are also the basis of evaluating prior learning.
|On completion of this unit, students should be able to:|
|1||Demonstrate an understanding of the culture of writing in a university context|
|2||Organise, synthesise and critically evaluate research using academic conventions|
|3||Plan and write an academic essay|
On completion of this unit, students should be able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the culture of writing in a university context
- Organise, synthesise and critically evaluate research using academic conventions
- Plan and write an academic essay
Teaching and assessment
Commonwealth Supported courses
For information regarding Student Contribution Amounts please visit the Student Contribution Amounts.
Fee paying courses
For postgraduate or undergraduate full fee paying courses please check Domestic Postgraduate Fees OR Domestic Undergraduate Fees
Please check the international course and fee list to determine the relevant fees.