What can be funded?
There are restrictions on what SSAF can be spent on. These have been determined by the Commonwealth Government and fall into 19 areas. The University can choose to deliver the services and amenities themselves or contract a third party to deliver them.
- providing food or drink to students on a campus of the higher education provider;
- supporting a sporting or other recreational activity by students;
- supporting the administration of a club most of whose members are students;
- caring for children of students;
- providing legal services to students;
- promoting the health or welfare of students;
- helping students secure accommodation;
- helping students obtain employment or advice on careers;
- helping students with their financial affairs;
- helping students obtain insurance against personal accidents;
- supporting debating by students;
- providing libraries and reading rooms (other than those provided for academic purposes) for students;
- supporting an artistic activity by students;
- supporting the production and dissemination to students of media whose content is provided by students;
- helping students develop skills for study, by means other than undertaking courses of study in which they are enrolled;
- advising on matters arising under the higher education provider’s rules (however described);
- advocating students’ interests in matters arising under the higher education provider’s rules (however described);
- giving students information to help them in their orientation; and
- helping meet the specific needs of overseas students relating to their welfare, accommodation and employment.
The 2021 SSAF funding process
A consultation process with democratically elected student representatives and Student Associations will commence mid-September 2020 and continue through October 2020.
Details about the fund allocation processes for 2021 funding will be available mid-October 2020.
Outcome and reporting
- Funding recipients will receive notification of 2021 SSAF funding by Monday 7 December 2020
- Recipients will be required to provide half-yearly financial reports and a final evaluation by 1 February 2021