Arrange your fees

Arrange your fees

Southern Cross University offers both Commonwealth Supported and Australian Fee Paying places. The type of place you have been offered is detailed in your offer email. The ways that you can pay your fees depends on your citizenship and residency status.

More information

A Tax File Number is required for applications to defer your fees via HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP or SA-HELP loans. Apply for a Tax File Number at any Australia Post branch or online at the Australia Tax Office website.

More information

  • Commonwealth Supported: Complete your HECS-HELP form to accept your Commonwealth Supported Place. Students eligible to defer fees should also complete a SA-HELP form before enrolling into your units. If deferring, you must enter your TFN into the form. Please ensure your TFN, name and address details match the Australian Tax Office records held in your name.
  • Australian Fee Paying: Enrol in your Australian Fee Paying units (Step 3) then return to Step 2 to arrange your fees. Australian citizens can defer their fees by lodging a FEE-HELP form.


A Commonwealth Supported Place means that the government subsidises the cost of your units and you pay the balance. The balance is called the Student Contribution.

Commonwealth Supported students can pay the Student Contribution up front. Australian citizens can access the HECS-HELP loan scheme to defer payment until earning an income specified by the government.

Not all Commonwealth Supported Students are eligible for HECS-HELP. If you are a Permanent Resident of Australia or a New Zealand citizen who did not arrive in Australia as a dependent child, you must pay your Student Contribution up front and in full.

All Commonwealth Supported Students must complete a HECS-HELP form regardless of whether they choose to pay fees up front or defer them to a HECS-HELP loan. Students who are eligible to defer must also complete a SA-HELP form. New HECS-HELP forms are required each time you begin a new course. Find the HECS-HELP and SA-HELP forms under the Commonwealth Assistance tab in My Enrolment.

You can also download a PDF guide on How to Submit HECS-HELP Form

Once your form is approved you will be able to enrol in units for your course (Step 3).


Fee Paying students pay up front or if eligible, can apply for FEE-HELP by completing the form found under the Commonwealth Assistance tab in My Enrolment. As a fee paying student you should first enrol in your selected units (Step 3) and then choose your payment method (Step 2).

Domestic fee-paying students may be eligible for FEE-HELP, a loan to cover all or part of their fees. You begin to make repayments when you earn an income specified by the government.

There is a FEE-HELP limit on the amount you can choose to defer. FEE-HELP loans are interest free, however a loan fee will apply to undergraduate students.

FEE-HELP is available to Australian citizens and holders of Permanent Humanitarian visas. It is not available to New Zealand citizens who did not arrive in Australia as a dependent child, or Permanent Residents of Australia, unless undertaking bridging study for overseas trained professionals.

There are three ways to pay your fees depending on your eligibility:

  • Upfront payment: generate your invoice in My Enrolment, under the Finance tab, up to 100 days prior to Census Date.
  • Deferred payment: apply for HECS-HELP, SA-HELP or FEE-HELP, under the Commonwealth Assistance tab. Enter your TFN.
  • Partial Payment: generate your invoice in My Enrolment, under the Finance tab. Make payment for the partial amount and apply to defer the balance to either HECS-HELP or FEE-HELP, under the Commonwealth Assistance tab.

Students who are eligible should complete a SA-HELP form to defer the SSAF to the SA-HELP loan scheme prior to enrolling. You can choose to pay your SSAF each session by the due date by generating an invoice under the Finance tab in My Enrolment. More information

SSAF is a compulsory fee which covers essential non-academic amenities and services that enrich the student experience. A number of preparatory courses are exempt from the SSAF. Students who are incarcerated and International students studying at SCU Melbourne, Sydney, Perth or offshore are also exempt.

The Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) is charged in Session 1 and 2 each year and must be paid each session by the due date. The amount depends on your study load and whether you study on or off campus.

You can choose to pay your SSAF each session by the due date, or eligible students should apply to defer the SSAF to the SA-HELP loan scheme. Full payment, or approval of an SA-HELP application, must occur before the due date to avoid fee sanctions which can include withholding of transcripts and final grades.

Final checks


In My Enrolment click on the Commonwealth Assistance tab, then click Add New next to your admitted course and complete the relevant form. Find more information regarding Commonwealth Supported Places, HECS-HELP, FEE-HELP and SA-HELP at www.studyassist.gov.au.

Making payments

The due dates for fees are listed on your enrolment invoice which is found under the Finance tab in My Enrolment. You can pay via our Payment Portal, BPay or Aust Post Bill pay. We recommend signing into the My Account feature of the Payment Portal with your SCU Login. From here you can view your invoices and make full or partial payment online.

Additional course fees and costs

There may also be specific costs associated with your course. These can include textbooks, field trips, specialised equipment or travel for compulsory workshop or residential activities.

► Next: 3. Enrol in Units