Insurance coverage for volunteer work experience
Volunteer work experience can help you build your professional network and gain experience in your chosen industry sector.
Southern Cross University (SCU) supports current students to volunteer for work experience (relevant to your degree) by providing Personal Accident and Public Liability insurance coverage while you are studying. Please note that this process is only for volunteer work experience opportunities undertaken as extracurricular activities — it is not for internship, placement units and Clinical placement/work experience (which have separate processes that will be explained by your School at the time of enrolment).
To gain insurance approval you must:
- Be currently enrolled as a SCU Student
- Ensure work experience is relevant to your degree
- Note that work experience cannot exceed 10 days (70 hours) over a maximum three month period
- Allow at least 10 working days’ notice for your request to be processed
To apply for volunteer work experience insurance register to complete the online form.
Make sure you have your host organisation and supervisor contact details (including email address) and proposed start and finish dates before using this link.
Volunteer work experience insurance coverage — process overview
- You identify a host organisation that will accept you for (non-clinical) volunteer work experience.
- You register then complete the Volunteer work experience application form
- The SCU Careers team checks details and forwards request to your Head of School.
- If Head of School approves, form is forwarded to Host organisation for signing.
- Host organisation returns the signed form to SCU Careers. You and your employer are emailed and work experience can begin within the approved date range.
For further information or any enquiries email firstname.lastname@example.org.