About the collection
Southern Cross University’s Art collection comprises a diverse range of more than 200 works, including painting, sculpture, works on paper, and screen printing.
The Art collection contributes to the cultural experience of students, staff, and visitors to the University. The scope of the collection includes works of high artistic and cultural value, including regional artists who have an important connection to the University. The collection supports the teaching, research and community engagement activities of the University.
The University Library is responsible for preserving, documenting and maintaining the collection. The Art Collection Policy governs the acquisition of artworks for the collection.
Items in the Art collection not on loan or already on display on campus can be viewed by appointment during Library opening hours.
To make an appointment:
- Download the Art Collection catalogue for items you wish to view (SCU staff and students only).
- Email email@example.com the details of the artworks you wish to view and your preferred viewing time.
Library staff will advise if the works are available for viewing. Please allow five working days between sending your request and your preferred viewing time.
Please ask Library staff for advice before photographing or copying Art Collection items. Library staff will provide advice on safe handling of items from the Art Collection.
Southern Cross University staff may request artworks for display in University workspaces. Artwork loans are for 12 months and may be renewed. Loans are recorded in the Library’s content management system.
To request artwork for display on campus:
- Download available artworks from the Art Collection catalogue and select the work you would like to display.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the Art collection number and display destination.
- Library staff will liaise with the staff requestor and Property Services to install the artwork at Lismore, Gold Coast or Coffs Harbour campus.
Please allow five working days for the work to be transported and installed.
Please ask Library staff for advice before photographing or copying Art collection items. Library staff will provide advice on safe handling of items from the Art collection.
Loan requests for exhibition to public and private galleries and museums are subject to the approval of the Director, Library Services. To request a work for exhibition, please email email@example.com.
The Art collection was initiated in 1970/1971 by the principal of The Northern Rivers College of Advanced Education Dr. Raymond Bass.
The history of the Art collection is recorded in the SCU Art Collection Historical Report and Catalogue >by Dr Shelagh Morgan, 2011.