Pathways towards English language proficiency
All students must meet the University's Minimum English Language Proficiency Requirements for entry (admission) into a Southern Cross University course.
English language proficiency for Australian or New Zealand citizens and residents
- be an Australian-born, Australian citizen;
- complete Year 12 in Australia or New Zealand;
- complete an Australian Certificate IV, higher or equivalent New Zealand qualification - view Schedule B for details;
- hold a minimum of 1 year full-time equivalent service in an Australian or New Zealand Skill Level 1 or 2 occupation, or 2 years full-time equivalent service in an Australian or New Zealand Skill Level 3 occupation, or equivalent occupational service in an English speaking country; view Schedule B for details; or
- complete an approved academic/English language qualification, such as 10768NAT - Certificate IV in English for Academic Purposes or a foundation/preparation program such as the Preparing for Success at Southern Cross University Program.
English language proficiency for International citizens
- complete Year 12 in Australia or equivalent senior secondary study in an English speaking country, as per Schedule A;
- complete an Australian Certificate IV, higher or equivalent overseas qualification, taught and assessed in English;
- hold a minimum of 1 year full-time equivalent service in an Australian or New Zealand Skill Level 1 or 2 occupation, or 2 years full-time equivalent service in an Australian or New Zealand Skill Level 3 occupation, or equivalent overseas occupational service in an English speaking country;
- achieve an English Language test score equal to or greater than the English language proficiency requirement published for a Southern Cross University course - as per Schedule B; or
- complete an approved English language course, an academic/English language qualification, or a foundation/preparation program, such as those listed below in the English Language Proficiency Pathways document.
Succesful completion of English for Academic Purposes at SCU College provides direct entry to a range of Southern Cross University degrees.
Please note that some Southern Cross University courses with external accreditation may also require an IELTS or ToEFL test. Refer to the relevant course for more information.
Alternative English Language Pathways
You may already have the language skills that the University is looking for if you have completed a an academic/English foundationan, university preparation or English for Academic Purposes course with one of the following approved institutes.
Search the English Language Proficiency Pathways document for specific grades required to fulfil minimum English language proficiency at Southern Cross University.
|Recognised ELICOS Providers||Courses|
|Ability English||English for Academic Purposes|
|Australian Pacific College||English for Academic Purposes|
|Browns English Language School||English for Academic Purposes|
|Byron Bay English Language School||Cambridge Advanced English Preparation|
|Cambridge International College (Melbourne)||English for Academic Purposes|
|Embassy English||English for Academic Purposes|
English Language Company
|English for Academic Purposes|
English for Academic Purposes; and
|ILSC (Brisbane) Pty. Ltd.||
English for Academic Purposes;
and IELTS Mastery
|International House Sydney||IELTS Academic Preparation course|
|Maquarie English and Maquarie Institute||English for Academic Purposes|
|Milner International College of English||
Cambridge Proficiency in English Preparation course; and Cambridge Exam
Cambridge Advanced English Preparation course; and Cambridge Advanced English exam
IELTS Preparation course; and external IELTS exam
|Navitas English||English for Academic Purposes|
|Perth International College Of English||English for Academic Purposes|
|Queensland Academy of Technology||IELTS Preparation program|
|Strathfield College||English for Academic Purposes|
|Sydney College of English||English for Academic Purposes|
|Tongji University||Certificate in Business or Engineering Foundation Certificate Programmes|
|Universal English College||Academic English Preparation course|
|UTS Insearch||English for Academic Purposes|