Pathways towards English language proficiency
All students must meet the University's Minimum English Language Proficiency Requirements for entry (admission) into a Southern Cross University.
English language proficiency for Australia or New Zealand
- be an Australian-born, Australian citizen;
- complete Year 12 in Australia;
- complete at least one year of equivalent full-time study in an AQF level 5 Diploma, or higher qualification, taught and assessed in English; or
- complete an approved foundation or preparation course at an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO) or Higher Education Provider (HEP), such as our Preparing for Success Program.
English language proficiency for International
- complete Year 12 in Australia or equivalent senior secondary study in an English speaking country;
- complete at least 1 year of equivalent full-time study in an AQF level 5 Diploma, or higher qualification, taught and assessed in English;
- achieve an equivalent IELTS test score equal to or greater than 6.0 (with no band less than 5.5) as per Schedule B; or
- complete an approved foundation, preparation or English for Academic Purposes course at an Australian Registered Training Organisation (RTO), or Higher Education Provider (HEP), such as our English for Academic Purposes program, the Undergraduate Qualifying Program or Postgraduate Qualifying Program.
Succesful completion of English for Academic Purposes at SCU College provides direct entry to a range of Southern Cross University degrees.
Please note that some courses which require external accreditation may also require an IELTS or ToEFL test. Refer to the relevant course for more information.
Alternative English Language Pathways
You may already have the language skills that the University is looking for if you have completed a an academic/English foundationan, university preparation or English for Academic Purposes course with one of the following approved institutes.
Search the English Language Proficiency Pathways document for specific grades required to fulfil minimum English language proficiency at Southern Cross University.
|Recognised ELICOS Providers||Courses|
|Ability English||English for Academic Purposes|
|Australian Pacific College||English for Academic Purposes|
|Browns English Language School||English for Academic Purposes|
|Byron Bay English Language School||Cambridge Advanced English Preparation|
|Cambridge International College (Melbourne)||English for Academic Purposes|
|Embassy English||English for Academic Purposes|
English Language Company
|English for Academic Purposes|
English for Academic Purposes; and
|ILSC (Brisbane) Pty. Ltd.||
English for Academic Purposes;
and IELTS Mastery
|International House Sydney||IELTS Academic Preparation course|
|Maquarie English and Maquarie Institute||English for Academic Purposes|
|Milner International College of English||
Cambridge Proficiency in English Preparation course; and Cambridge Exam
Cambridge Advanced English Preparation course; and Cambridge Advanced English exam
IELTS preparation course; and external IELTS exam
|Navitas English||English for Academic Purposes|
|Perth International College Of English||English for Academic Purposes|
|Strathfield College||English for Academic Purposes|
|Sydney College of English||English for Academic Purposes|
|Tongji University||Certificate in Business or Engineering Foundation Certificate Programmes|
|Universal English College||Academic English Preparation course|
|UTS Insearch||English for Academic Purposes|