New to Teaching@SCU
New to Teaching @ SCU
The Centre for Teaching and Learning (CTL) welcomes staff new to SCU. We are here to support and encourage new staff as they orientate themselves to SCU.
To assist, we run online workshops prior to Sessions, designed specifically to help staff learn how to work effectively in a new teaching environment. Workshops will be advertised through the SCU email and feel free to contact us for details.
As well as the New to Teaching @ SCU Workshops we provide a number of opportunities for you to engage with your colleagues and the scholarship of teaching, to support your transition to teaching at SCU. These opportunities can be found on our Professional Learning page.
- Scholarship of Learning and Teaching Symposium
- New Staff workshops
- Foundations of University Teaching Practice
- Talking Teaching
- Friday Free-for-all (Troubleshooting Blackboard learning environment technical issues and general technology support and training related questions. Every Friday 12 noon NSW time)
- Teaching Technologies Drop-In sessions (Join the Technology Facilitators' to ask your burning questions about teaching using technology. Every Tuesday 1pm NSW).
Dates for 2023:
- Term 5: Friday 27 October and Wednesday 1 November.
While the workshops are designed for staff who are new to SCU, all academic staff including casual staff can attend. The workshops will include opportunities to:
- experience interactive content in the ‘New to Teaching at SCU’ Blackboard site
- participate in activities to develop capabilities for effective and engaging online teaching strategies
- learn about available resources and supports for teaching at SCU
- network with SCU colleagues in the online environment through Teams
- learn how to use Collaborate Ultra and Blackboard
For workshop enquiries please contact email@example.com
SCU teaching and learning community
Welcome to the SCU teaching and learning community. We know starting at an institution can be daunting and confusing and it can be hard to find your way around. We have compiled a list of handy links to help you get to know SCU, orient yourself, and find the support systems, people and structures and more, that will frame your working life at SCU.
Support services relevant to teaching and learning
The Centre for Teaching and Learning is here to directly support effective teaching at SCU. Here are links of supports that are available to help you develop and enhance your teaching practice and work with students.
- Centre for Teaching and Learning
- Student Learning Zone
- Student Equity and Inclusion
- Gnibi College of Indigenous Australian Peoples
- Indigenous Australia Student Services (IASS)
- Technology Services
- SCU International
- Library Services
- Student Administration Services
- Student Health and Wellbeing