New to Teaching@SCU
New to Teaching @ SCU
The Centre for Teaching and Learning (CTL) welcomes staff new to SCU. We are here to support and encourage new staff as they orientate themselves to SCU.
To assist, we run online workshops prior to Sessions, designed specifically to help staff learn how to work effectively in a new teaching environment. Workshops will be advertised through the SCU email and feel free to contact us for details.
Date & Time: Friday, 1 March, 1:00 pm - 3:45 pm (NSW)
A Zoom meeting link will be emailed when you register. If you have not used Zoom before, you will need to install it before the meeting. (If possible, use your SCU login to access Zoom).
For workshop enquiries, please contact Mieke Witsel.Register for this workshop Workshop Overview
- experience interactive content in the ‘New to Teaching @ SCU’ Blackboard site (Blackboard Learning Management system) using your SCU account
- gain insight into the principles of the Southern Cross Model and the Introducing the Southern Cross Model Blackboard site
- participate in activities to develop effective and engaging teaching strategies for teaching in the Southern Cross Model
- learn about available resources and support for teaching at SCU in the Southern Cross Model
- dive into various aspects of teaching in the Blackboard environment
- network with SCU colleagues online.
- I cannot attend but would like the recording; what should I do?
If you cannot attend, still register, and please contact Mieke Witsel to let us know you cannot attend. You will still be able to access the workshop recordings.
- I do not have access to MySCU or SCOUT to register; what should I do?
Contact your faculty manager or Technology Services to request systems access.
The CTL team looks forward to meeting you.
As well as the New to Teaching @ SCU Workshops we provide a number of opportunities for you to engage with your colleagues and the scholarship of teaching, to support your transition to teaching at SCU. These opportunities can be found on our Professional Learning page.
- Scholarship of Learning and Teaching Symposium
- New Staff workshops
- Foundations of University Teaching Practice
- Talking Teaching
- Friday Free-for-all (Troubleshooting Blackboard learning environment technical issues and general technology support and training related questions. Every Friday 12 noon NSW time)
SCU teaching and learning community
Welcome to the SCU teaching and learning community. We know starting at an institution can be daunting and confusing and it can be hard to find your way around. We have compiled a list of handy links to help you get to know SCU, orient yourself, and find the support systems, people and structures and more, that will frame your working life at SCU.
Support services relevant to teaching and learning
The Centre for Teaching and Learning is here to directly support effective teaching at SCU. Here are links of supports that are available to help you develop and enhance your teaching practice and work with students.
- Centre for Teaching and Learning
- Student Learning Zone
- Student Equity and Inclusion
- Gnibi College of Indigenous Australian Peoples
- Indigenous Australia Student Services (IASS)
- Technology Services
- SCU International
- Library Services
- Student Administration Services
- Student Health and Wellbeing