New to Teaching
The Centre for Teaching and Learning (CTL) welcomes staff new to SCU. We are here to support and encourage new staff as they orientate themselves to SCU. To assist, we run online workshops prior to Sessions, designed specifically to help staff learn how to work effectively in a new teaching environment. Workshops will be advertised through the SCU email and feel free to contact us for details.
As well as the New to Teaching @ SCU Workshops we provide a number of opportunities for you to engage with your colleagues, and the scholarship of teaching, to support your transition to teaching at SCU. These and a Calendar of Events can be found on our Engage page.
- New Staff workshops
- Foundations of University Teaching Practice
- Talking Teaching
- Symposium of Learning and Teaching
- New to Teaching at SCU Teams
- Friday Free-for-all (Weekly online support for the Blackboard learning environment at 12 noon (NSW time))
This year the New to Teaching @ SCU Workshops were held on the 25th February and 2nd July with a follow-up workshop on the 7th July. If you miss attending and need support please contact The Centre for Teaching and Learning or view our Engage page for other teaching support options.
For workshop enquiries please contact Mieke Witsel by email.
Statement of Completion: New to Teaching @ SCU Workshop
This 3-hour workshop can be undertaken as part of a larger professional learning package. Those who fulfil the minimum requirement of 14 hours participation (i.e. the 3-hour workshop plus evidence of completion of one FUTP online module) will receive a Statement of Completion.
SCU teaching and learning community
Welcome to the SCU teaching and learning community. We know starting at an institution can be daunting and confusing and it can be hard to find your way around. We have compiled a list of handy links to help you get to know SCU, orient yourself, and find the support systems, people and structures and more, that will frame your working life at SCU.
- A brief history of SCU Glossary of Terms
- The Southern Cross University Handbook
- Graduate attributes
- Governance and management structures at SCU
- Policies relevant to teaching and learningSCU College
- Learning and teaching and the University’s Strategic Plan
- Community engaged learning
- Live Ideas
- Getting connected to relevant IT systems at SCU
Support services relevant to teaching and learning
The Centre for Teaching and Learning is here to directly support effective teaching at SCU. Here are links of supports that are available to help you develop and enhance your teaching practice and work with students.
- Centre for Teaching and Learning
- Student Learning Zone
- Student Equity and Inclusion
- Gnibi College of Indigenous Australian Peoples
- Indigenous Australia Student Services (IASS)
- Technology Services
- SCU International
- Library Services
- Student Administration Services
- Student Health and Wellbeing